Minn Kota Terrova or Minn Kota Ulterra?

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I am looking at upgrading my bow mount trolling motor this year and have it narrowed down to a Terrova or Ulterra with i-Pilot, I like the idea of the Ulterra with the auto stow and deploy but I am leery as this motor is fairly new and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the auto stow and deploy, like with any product the more gadgets it has the more things that can go wrong with it is my fear.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ulterra and never look back.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have looked at getting an Ulterra to replace my Terrova the only down side for me is if something happens to the self deploy. The left hand side plate has to be removed to get to the release mechanism. I could just see me out there at 20 degrees and fumbling around with screw drivers and screws…over the side I could see them going. Minnkota should install the release to enable use without having to pull the trolling motor apart. That is my 2 cents

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Had the same concerns. I purchased ulterra late summer. Love everything about it even more than I had imagined. I did just drop it off to warranty for power to unit shutting off occasionally during use, remote not responding sometimes, and the motor/prop head being loose in the cradle and not as tight as new. The remote would work fine ever time IF you wacked it on the side of the boat. Hope it’s not a mistake in two years, they fix all issues/ make it right or I’ll just never buy a minn kota product again in my life. Ridiculous amount of money.

Gary Korsgaden
    NULL

Struggled with the same spend the bucks and sell my terrova instead.
    Do what I did add a bow mount lift. What I like is the terrova is always reading the GPS when deployed comes in handy, for example setting up a track working trough an area with the main power engine,and going back to it with the I-Pilot Link on the Terrova.

When deployed with a bow lift, the trolling motor is in a vertical position, push a button and you can lower and raise it. It is always reading the GPS when deployed and recording the track. Simply deploy once at the boat ramp, and stow before going in for the day.

Cost is a huge plus too. Don’t get me wrong the Ulterra is nice but a bit more spendy.

You may not see the advantage of the bow mount lift but offers a cost effective alternative and be added anyone with a existing terrova.

Works well with a additional transducer on the terrova too.

http://www.bowmountlift.com/

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m waiting another full season to see how the Ulterra’s hold up before I decide to upgrade my Terrova…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

rebates on the Ulterra right now too!!!

Chad Leton

If you fish in cold temps (late fall/early spring), go Terrova.

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

I got a new terrova on a new boat last spring and now wish I had gone with the ulterra

grizzly
    nebraska

If you fish in cold temps (late fall/early spring), go Terrova.

we used it at LOTW at ice out with no troubles, what troubles have you had?

jon amundson

I’ve been in two different boats with ulterras that freeze and wouldn’t deploy. Temps were 7-20 degrees. They all thawed eventually but had them refreeze with long runs between spots. Usually boat sitting in river water at ice out is warmer than on land and boat will thaw even when well below freezing outside. Would like to see a manual release option for ulterras. Never had one freeze while shaft was in the water.

fishingchallenged

I went Terrova. Took the $500 saved and put into the next bigger Helix.

blackbay

I went Terrova. Took the $500 saved and put into the next bigger Helix.

This, plus I want as much battery power for propulsion rather than using it raising and lowering the motor.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I love my ulterra. I fish with it in sub-freezing temps on the river (I’ve fished in the 20’s but not the single digits) and never had a problem with freezing. That said, I do spray it down with silicone or reel magic during the winter from time to time.

I’ve owned it for two years so far with no problems. It would be hard to go back to a terrova.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.