Minn kota terrova i-pilot spot lock calibration

• acarroline

This unit came on the boat I bought a couple years ago. Works great but the spot lock seems more like “area lock” and spins me around pretty good, even in lighter wind. Is their a calibration or something I should do? I’m thinking from the serial number it was new in about 2016. Boat only had 90 hours on it so it hasnt been used much. Maybe with technology this is what it is, then is there an option to just replace the head unit?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1605-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1606-scaled.jpeg

Baitwaster
    South metro

There may be an update available, a quick email or call can answer that. But here’s what they say for accuracy:

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231021-124606_Chrome.jpg

MX1825

I think you have version #2 of the Terrova. Versions #1 & #3 had good spot lock. Version #2 had the issue you are complaining about. There might be an update now but back then Minnkota told everyone with complaints too bad, it was within “spec”.

It was the reason I traded mine in on Version #3.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

You have a iPilot v2 remote pictured, that remote worked with both the v1 & v2 Legacy ipilots.
    Post a picture of the top of the motor ipilot head as the ipilot v1 & v2 look slightly different within the logo/gold ban, this is just to confirm v1 or v2.

nonetheless, if you want the most out of spot lock, first bring the boat virtually to a stop with the bow pointed into the wind then engage spot lock. If the boat is still in motion when you engage it it locks that particular GPS coordinates and it has to flip around to get back to it because of the momentum of the boat.

By the way there is no method for the end-user to upgrade the software or firmware of the v1 or the v2 ipilot.

Only the link system had that option for those legacy units

acarroline

Thought I saw something on here about changing a head unit?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1605-1-scaled.jpeg

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

The attached picture is that of a v2 ipilot head, notice the yellow/gold bar in the logo, the v1 is without the yellow/gold color
    Yours is a v2 with twice the storage for itracks etc.
    The second picture is a comparison to the v1 & v2

The newer 2012 v2 “1866300” model has a yellow/gold ban background where it says GPS Trolling System whereas the older “1866200” model does not. The extra storage is within the head and not the updated remote

Yes there are kits to convert a legacy unit to a newer Bluetooth version. Plan on opening the wallet. You can also upgrade to the legacy ipilot link with only a head swap and legacy link remote.

Again, the legacy spot lock was good within about 10′ or so.
    If you are just looking to anchor the boat in a vicinity to take a break or to land a fish it is fine. If you bring the boat to a complete stop point the bow into the wind you could probably even fish over smaller structure.
    But you have no method to upgrade the firmware on any version of the Legacy ipilot. only the link can do that. Whereas the Bluetooth versions can

Attachments:
    1. V2-head-1.jpeg

2. ipilot-compare.jpeg

3. V2-head.jpeg

acarroline

Took the boat in to be winterized and dealer had an ulterra on hand. Traded up. Problem solved.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

As long as it is 2017 or newer, its a nice upgrade.
    Those have bluetooth and better GPS whereas the model prior up to 2016 would be equivalent to the second gen ipilots.

Enjoy it ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.