Minn Kota – Built in Transducers

• Joe K

Planning a little ways out to get a handle on future purchases. I’d like to get a humminbird setup with mega SI. I’ve read upgrading the transducer from the compact one is recommended for best performance. I’d also be in the market for a new trolling motor with iPilot to link to the finder.

So with this in mind, would buying a motor that has the transducer built in be preferred to the standalone transducer? I always hesitate when buying multipurpose tools because often one or both of the functionalities suffer relative to stand alone units tools. Additionally, as technology improves and progresses, what does that mean for upgrading the trolling motor?

Joe K

Any input? Is this the wrong board maybe?

Deuces

If your TM isn’t in the water you will have no sonar.

If you can get the built in tho it sure would make life alot easier without having to string cords up your motor. I know couple guys who pinched theirs and had to get know stowing them away.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure why no replies – Normally there are a lot of electronics experts on here answering these type of question. Hang tight – I’m sure a few will chime in soon. I am way outdated on my electronic knowledge these days so I’m of no help.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Joe, yes, the built in ducer will provide you with what you want and it links to ipilot and your humminbird electronics. I believe there is a separate ducer that you cannot attach to the bottom of you bow mount if you want Mega 360, however. Beads is right, you run the risk of pinching wires if you’re using an external transducer. But some people don’t like using Humminbird so in order to use their electronics with a minn kota bow mount, they have no alternative. I use Lowrance on my minn kota maxxum and I have never had a short but that doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen.

Matt Peterson

There are two types of ducers in the current Minnkota motors. Standard, which will get you the 2D sonar. And the MDI, which will get you down imaging as well as 2D. It will not get you SI. To achieve that you would have to mount a ducer to the bottom of the trolling motor, or read from the transom mount ducer.

Joe K

Are you sure? The minnkota site shows 3 options per this.

Attachments:
    1. 20200306_211105.jpg

reddog

Minnkota is building a MSI Ultrex and a MSI Ukterra. No MSI Terrova. I’ve had my HDSI transducer on my trolling motor since 2012. Two transducers were mounted in the trolling motor slot, and now my HDSI is run internally inside the shaft. Been that way for 5 years. I’d like to upgrade to a MSI Ulterra, but in order to do that, I’d also have to go to a G3 unit Hell x or a G2 Solix, as the MSI trolling motors need a mega plus unit. I think the MDI units Will run on a G2 or G3 Helix unit.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I got the mega ducer built in to my terrova last year and love it. Not really concerned about the future advancement of technology. If there is new tech, you just slap it on the motor you already have. I want a clean install and don’t want wires and clamps hanging off a $2000 motor. Do I need it????? No but it sure is nice to have nice things! I don’t have the link because, I did not think I would use it. everyone has their own needs and that is why these companies offer so many options……too many if you ask me but it must make them $$$ or they wouldn’t be doing it.
    Watch for deals too. Last spring, I was able to pick up a new Terrova with built in Mega from Reeds for $2k and they threw in a free Helix 7 Mega DI G3.

Mark Antonov

Similar question…just got the Terrova ipilot link with MDI and helix 7 MSI G3N. Do I need to connect the built in MDI cable on the motor to the helix in order to use link? If I am mainly interested in MSI would I run transom mount and not bother connecting the MDI to the helix? Hope that makes sense

Jason

Similar question…just got the Terrova ipilot link with MDI and helix 7 MSI G3N. Do I need to connect the built in MDI cable on the motor to the helix in order to use link?

Yes both wires on you mdi Minnkota will need to be connected to get all of the features. You will most likely need the adapter to go with the Helix 7 unit as well since the 8-12s have a different plug configuration. You can also view your rear transducer up front if you have everthing networked as well.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I’d like to get a humminbird setup with mega SI. I’ve read upgrading the transducer from the compact one is recommended for best performance.
    I believe the compact transducer is featured on the 5″ and 7″ models. If you want good SI images, you need to step up to a larger screen. I have a 10″ and sure would like a 12″.

Not sure how you fish, but with a tiler boat, one Bird at the stern and one at the bow is ideal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.