Milwaukee cutting out

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Yes, an actual fishing post wave

Anyone else having this happen? I”ve had it twice now and wondering if I’m hitting something like a thermal shutdown. Yesterday I was drilling hole 18 and it just stopped. Swapped batteries, got another hole and a half. Let the drill sit for a while and all good.

Breaking down a new body of water and needing a bunch of holes.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, there is an over-heat shutdown on Milwaukee drills. I’ve had it happen when drilling steel with one of mine. Not sure if it’s the tool that is overheating or the battery, but it shuts off until it cools.

Grouse

Ripjiggen

What Grouse said. However I have never had mine shut down while drilling through ice. Even on trips to Winnipeg.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

However I have never had mine shut down while drilling through ice. Even on trips to Winnipeg.

Dull blades or a nick in the blade or flighting causing drag?

Grouse

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Dull blades or a nick in the blade or flighting causing drag?

Grouse

I’ll check but I doubt it. It’s cutting really well. Did a speed comparison between mine and a friend’s 6″ kdrill the first day out. He barely beat me. Yesterday was my 3rd day using it.

8″ Eskimo Pistol bit and 2806 drill(non-hammer version).

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Check to see if the problem always occurs with the same battery. Mark your batteries so you can tell them apart. Could be a bad battery or I had one battery where the little chip in the battery went bad and it would refuse to charge.

Grouse

Musky Ed

Last Milwaukee drill I got years back, had a statement right in the instructions, said that the batteries had a sensor in them that restricted them from being charged after so many cycles. It stated they were doing it for our benefit so that we wouldn’t try and charge a battery when it was beyond its optimum life. Ya right. Last Milwaukee tool I purchased. Now run all Dewalt, and couldn’t be happier.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Last Milwaukee drill I got years back, had a statement right in the instructions, said that the batteries had a sensor in them that restricted them from being charged after so many cycles. It stated they were doing it for our benefit so that we wouldn’t

You’re living about 15 years in the past. This was the old v28 tools that haven’t been made in at least a decade. They were limited to 1,000 full charge-discharge cycles. Which was irrelevant because you would have never gotten that many cycles on that battery technology anyway.

I have used Milwaukee M18 tools since the year they came out and all the batteries function until they simply won’t hold a charge any longer.

Grouse

Musky Ed

Actually it was a 14 volt, and 18v, but could have been ten years ago, although I’m thinking more like 8 or so. Either way I’m real happy I switched to Dewalt. Was buying new Milwaukee 18v batteries every other year, and they didn’t hold their charge anywhere near as long as the Dewalt’s that I have, and I had a lot of different Milwaukee’s. Thats just my experience though.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

heck to see if the problem always occurs with the same battery. Mark your batteries so you can tell them apart. Could be a bad battery or I had one battery where the little chip in the battery went bad and it would refuse to charge.
    Grouse

Yesterday same thing, 17th or 18th hole I got the cutout. This was rapid drilling one after the other. Let the drill sit for 15 minutes and drilled another 6. Fished those without a hint of success and gave up for the day.

Good suggestion and I’ll mark the batteries. My hunch is that won’t matter. They are charging fine and overall capacity in inches of ice drilled seems good. Rain today so maybe tomorrow.

It’s pretty rare for me to drill more than 10 holes in one push but would really like the option. Now I”m wondering if I need to keep my gas auger for high volume outings:???:

Doug M
    SE SD

I would guess it is getting warm. I have had it happen also when the weather is nicer. Don’t seem to have an issue when it is 5 degrees and wind blowing. I have seen a guide have the same issue drilling holes inside his shacks. He told me he runs into this a lot when moving houses that are already warmed up. He took a hand full of the ice shavings and packed his drill to finish the last few holes.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

make sure the drill is in fact on the drill setting and 1.

Had this happen last week, its easy to accidentally change it while being mobile

milemark_714

What AH battery?From what I have read,the higher amp hour batteries let the drill work more efficiently.I noticed a big difference between the 4AH and the 6AH.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Had this happen last week, its easy to accidentally change it while being mobile

+1

Mine will cut holes on Speed 2, but will eventually overheat or shut down momentarily as well after a few holes. I’ve drilled from a fresh battery until it died completely without stopping through over 2′ of ice when everything is set up properly.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What AH battery?From what I have read,the higher amp hour batteries let the drill work more efficiently.I noticed a big difference between the 4AH and the 6AH.

Confirmed setting on 1. It only has drill setting, difference between 2803 and 2804. (sorry, mistyped model number above)

2 5ah batteries that came with the 2803-22 combo. Did the order through Acme tool so I avoided the big box stores.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

When in doubt, RTFM. 99% sure my battery was getting too warm.

Per manual:
    Under extreme circumstances, the internal temperature of the battery could become too high. If this happens, the fuel gauge lights will flash in an alternating pattern and the tool will not run. Allow the battery to cool down.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.