Mille Lacs Smallmouth Report

• Rick Janssen

Here is a report on my smallmouth to Mille Lacs last Friday through Sunday (6/9-6/11). Well Friday was the day from Hell. PERFECT day to fish, but it started with me slipping on the boat landing while guiding my brother backing in the boat. ER visit and stitches later we are back at the resort. Then because we were a bit gun shy of the landing, brother did not back me down far enough before unlatching me and boat rolls off onto the ramp before we are deep enough. NO damage to motor, so we crank it back on trailer and back in more. Fished some rock piles with jigs, and cranks etc. Brother caught nice walleye and the biggest rock bass ever within 5 mins of our arrival, but that was all. We cruised into a bay and tried for northern and LMBass. SIL caught a nice northern but nothing else. We tried many other spots and picked up some more walleye but did NOT find and SM Bass. By late afternoon we are back into another bay looking for them in shallow (tip from another guy). As we are cruising out of the bay, my SIL sees water coming in the boat. AHHH, I move as fast as possible and head to an island only to discover the plug had come out. Must have gotten loosened on the fall. Well, after hours of bilge pump running and two of us bailing we get enough water out that we can cruise out of there. I had a spare plug. We are DONE for the day. Sat brought the high winds so were are have the boat on the trailer driving around the S side looking for a safe place. After much driving around we just head back to resort and fish out front. Caught go far because of the wind. Wind dies down by 7 p so we head out to some reefs. Again brother catches a few walleye but we NEVER catch a smallmouth, which is what we came for. We see that there is a big storm coming for Sunday, so we load the boat up Sat night (thankfully) and headed home Sunday after storm went through

NOT the best trip, but still had a good time. I think I will heal

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0800.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like you took a left from Mike Tyson. doah

For what its worth, I’m not finding big numbers of fish in my usual spring milk run spots. More like a fish here, fish there kinda bite on the smallies. Should turn around here soon. Good luck on your next trip.

-J.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You need to check that bilge pump and repair or upsize. No way should a bilge pump run for hours without being able to pump out a fishing boat unless it’s seriously undersized or not working properly.

The other issue I see all the time is undersized wire running to the bilge pump, so the current is not available to pump to the stated capacity. I would never run anything less than 14 gauge wire to a bilge and that’s the absolute minimum. For bigger boats, I’ve run 12 or 10 to each pump, do whatever the pump size and wire run call for.

Also, corrugated discharge hose reduces pumping speed and efficiency. Smooth is always better. And with all critical marine systems that involve hose clamps, stainless clamps X2 on every fitting end. Never rely on a single clamp and never, ever use pot metal automotive clamps in a marine application.

Grouse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also, if your in a pinch, just put the boat up on plane. The water will get sucked out the drain plug hole. Quick way to clear the bilge. Actually old school way we used to drain the bilge before small fishing boats had pumps. Just pull the plug on the go, replace when empty.

-J.

Rick Janssen

Thanks guys – I DID try to get it up on plane, but with all the water in the boat by then, it would not plane out. I will check the hoses for sure. I was just amazed how much water was in the boat by the time I made it to the island shore. I am glad there was something close by or we would have put that boat on the bottom.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Damn walleyes. Seems like they’re everywhere in that lake. shock

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just mocking the dnrs claim of low walleye population.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.