Mille Lacs late October

• Loomis13
    NULL

Hi guys, my Dad and I are looking at a weekend trip for the last weekend in Oct. We have no idea where we want to go, but I threw out Mille Lacs. We have been there in the summer, but never that late in the year. Is there anything going on that time of year? This will be kind of a weather dependent trip because if Iowa has a cold front come in that weekend we will be in a tree, but my dad likes to fish more than hunt so I figured I’d try to get him on some fish before we hunt Nov. and Dec. Anyway, just wondered if late Oct. gets to late in the year for Mille Lacs. Smallies or Walleyes would be the target species. Thanks!

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Yes, October is good. Don’t forget the full moon on the 24th. I’d be trolling shallows after dark and rigging large minnows during the day.

Kyhl
    Savage

ML is famous for it’s night time fall trolling. It is already dark by 8:30pm, and you can fish until nearly 10pm. Walleyes and smallies should be shallower and easier to target.

Walleyes are already moving into fall patterns. A buddy reported 6 20+” fish in 9′ of water near shore last week, trolling through sunset, fishing solo.

Three weeks ago I found them trolling in the dark on the first set of reefs near deeper water. Hit that same reef Friday evening trolling and had a 16″ within 100 yards. Dumped it back in to hightail it home for a family emergency (fishing just isn’t in my cards this year).

Wish I could be out there this October. :sigh:

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Oct trolling is the best fishing on that lake……….

Jake Jacobs

How deep are you guys trolling in the low light conditions?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How deep are you guys trolling in the low light conditions?

I haven’t done this too much but from 2-15’ can produce.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Where are you planning to stay?

Rocks – 10 foot or so. You can cast to those fish in 2 foot. 2 foot to bottom contact can happen quick at night trolling. tongue

North end sand/weeds. Keep as close to the break or weedline as possible without constantly snagging weeds. 6-10 foot of water.

Muskies are going good to that time of year.

-J.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

If you have the chance to get out on the Big Pond in October, I would! just sayin. whistling

Attachments:
    1. octwalleye.jpg

2. octsmb.jpg

Loomis13
    NULL

Haven’t planned anything yet. We would be on S or W side probably. I was just seeing if it might be worth the drive. Sounds like it could be! Thanks for the info everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.