Mille Lacs first timer

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Then what do you recommend to fix the problem Jon?

Every chance I get to discuss this topic with a politician, I let them know my position.

I have come to the conclusion speaking with or writing to the Mn DNR is a complete waste of time and effort. Calls and emails all ignored.

The local TV stations KARE11, WCCO, KSTP and FOX9 will not report the “Non tribal” angle to this problem. We apparently are nothing but white racists who oppose netting.

I do what I can. And open to ideas.

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Then what do you recommend to fix the problem

Encourage everyone to order the cod or farm raised ocean species instead of the walleye, thus lowering the market value of our state fish. Particularly anyone in Wisconsin.

Dillon Sanders

-J.

As am I Jon.

The cards are stacked against us. It’s only going to get worse. It’s the in thing to be a minority right now. And protest. And cause all kinds of disruptions. Because our politicians are soft and bend to them and their desires. Not rights but desires. I don’t foresee our politicians changing anytime soon.

Mille Lacs is just the start. Wait for Red Lake or Leech. It’s only a matter of time. Mille Lacs is a test.

If I can go on a lake and catch all the fish I can with my family then I have had an enjoyable experience. I could care less if I can keep a “limit”. I think people are losing sight that angling is a sport not a means to feed a family.

And if Canada has found a revenue stream with one of their resources such as netted walleye for me to eat at a resort then good for them. Isn’t that the definition of capitalism? Provide a service or product for a fee?

You’re against the eating of netted walleye but what about the codd or salmon or tuna? Is there a difference? Why are there not walleye farms for commercial sales for walleyes?

Not trying to start anything Jon. Just my two cents.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The local TV stations KARE11, WCCO, KSTP and FOX9 will not report the “Non tribal” angle to this problem. We apparently are nothing but white racists who oppose netting.

-J.

Are you referring to the “Non tribal” commercial netting operations on Lake Winnipeg as a problem too?

Dillon is correct in that cod, tuna, salmon and a host of other fish are netted commercially. Is the issue who is doing the netting?

To each his own personal preference, values, and what they believe in. Catholics believe you should not eat red meat on Fridays during the Lenten season. That is fine, I have no problem with that, I am not Catholic…I will eat red meat on Fridays during Lent and I will continue to eat a walleye dinner at restaurants.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Why are there not <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye farms for commercial sales for walleyes?

Not trying to start anything Jon. Just my two cents.

Dillon, just thought I’d circle back and offer an answer for this. Unlike trout, salmon, catfish, tilapia (yuck), walleye are unable or unwilling to eat commercial fish food pellets that the aforementioned fish species will gorge upon. All the farm raised fish…yes even salmon and trout will gobble and consume fish food pellets akin to dry dog and cat food pellets. This is a cost efficient process that allows them to be farm raised and grow quickly to market size.
    Walleyes however are unable or unwilling to eat fish food pellets and will only consume what is alive or appearing to be alive. Flicker shads and Rapalas that appear alive still offer no nutritional value. So basically to raise them in a farming environment would require feeding them live minnows, other small live fish, live leeches, live nightcrawlers, etc. This is cost prohibitive especially when compared to food pellets. Add to that to bring one to market size could be 4-5 years whereas salmon, trout, catfish 1-3 years.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Are you referring to the “Non tribal” commercial netting operations on Lake Winnipeg as a problem too?

Dillon is correct in that cod, tuna, salmon and a host of other fish are netted commercially. Is the issue who is doing the netting?

More than 90% of the store bought walleye comes from Lake Winnipeg. I assume you did’t know that Lake Winnipeg is in as much trouble as Mille Lacs. Except there, NO ONE is looking after the lake. Commercial fishing is decimating the lake in very quick order.

Dillon Sanders

So what is the solution? Everyone that can’t do anything about it can see the problem. But don’t have a realistic solution. Everyone that can do something about it uses their powers to grant advantage to one group or another.

We just keep the status quo until it all breaks down?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

More than 90% of the store bought walleye comes from Lake Winnipeg. I assume you did’t know that Lake Winnipeg is in as much trouble as Mille Lacs. Except there, NO ONE is looking after the lake. Commercial fishing is decimating the lake in very quick order.

biggill, you should know that you should be careful about assuming anything because you are wrong in assuming that I am unaware of the concerns regarding Lake Winnipeg. I have read many articles relating to Lake Winnipeg, here is a link to one of many I have read.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sports/4240013-professor-weighs-declining-walleye-stocks-lake-winnipeg

One could argue whether Mille Lacs is currently decimated or not, but surely not because of commercial netting. Mille Lacs problems are perhaps more political than the current walleye population would indicate.
    The commercial netting on Winnipeg is in fact exacerbating the walleye decline but there appears to be clear evidence that collapse of the primary forage (Rainbow smelt) in 2012 is what set the spiral downward.

Personally I do think about and consider some of these things when I order or purchase a commercially harvested walleye. I am however not worried that mankind will eat or exploit fresh water walleye to extinction. I think we all make choices that we have to live with. There are those that will keep walleyes they catch legally on a lake with a low or perhaps fragile walleye population. Or those that keep and eat a 29″ walleye. Should we be judging negatively upon those people any more or less than someone who eats a walleye sandwich at a restaurant?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

…and then there’s Lake Erie, where I understand that most of the WI restaurant walleye come from…

Mark

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The issue is the netting, regardless of who does it. It is an absolute shame and embarrassment that a great fishery like Winnipeg is being decimated. Same goes for the cod, tuna and salmon fisheries across the globe. The only sustainable salt water fisheries have collapsed or nearly collapsed, only to recover under strict management. Fact of the matter is, if we want to continue to be able to eat fresh natural fish, eventually we, even in MN, will have to decide whether they should be harvested recreationally or commercially. From a financial perspective recreationally supports a huge number of people more than commercially. And if you think MN walleye’s from Leech, Cass, Mille Lacs and other lakes are not being sold commercially, you have your head in the sand. As for answers to the problem, let’s start with letting the DNR manage things under one set of rules for everyone.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Andy, here is where I’m getting my info from plus a conversation that I had with a commercial fisherman when I was up there.

To me it appeared that you didn’t feel that Lake Winnipeg was in trouble. Misunderstood, I guess. I simply said assumed because I didn’t know and I wanted to to be fully aware of that.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.