Mille Lacs Advice

• Brian Offerdahl

I am heading out of Beachside Resort Thursday afternoon through the weekend with my brother in a borrowed Ice Castle. We want to target Walleye and may also leave the Ice Castle to do tip ups for pike. Any advice on depth/areas to go for walleye and for pike? I do not expect anyone to give up their honey hole, but I would love to hear what color and depth we should look for. I get once a year to see my brother and last year on Mille Lacs produced 2 walleye in 3 days. Hoping to show him a better time in the few days we get together.

Also, if you are up there during the same time in the same area – I would be happy to pop over and share some beer/bloody mary’s/fishing info. Wishing all of you tight lines and a goo time! I will be flying the flag attached to this message. Feel free to stop in and BS/have a beer if you see our flag!

Attachments:
    1. Eelpout-copy.jpg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I was there last weekend for one night/morning out of Lybacks in 17fow and caught one fish at 7am on a sucker. Same as the previous time I went. We threw lots of other stuff down with no marks – but we were there to catch up and relax more than fish.

Walleyeguy34

For walleye I would try to get out to the mudflats during the day and fish 28-32 FOW. At night set up a little shallower in like 20-24 FOW. Hot colors for us were orange, pink, and gold. Good luck!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Deep breaks where it tapers off into the basin. I haven’t been finding many fish shallow during low-light periods since the lake slowed down about a month ago. They just get slightly more active in their mid-day deeper spots. 26-29′ seems to be where they’re mixing in with the perch and tullies.

If I were setting up a Castle, it would be in 28′ (from the surface) at the base of a mud flat. You can always get out and hole-hop shallower for an hour as dusk and dawn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.