Mille Lacs

• al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

My brother and I are looking at some lake properties to purchase. There are two that we(wives) really like. Problem is they are on Mille Lacs. I’ve read all about the restrictions there. My question is, if you guys who have a better understanding of what’s going on with the DNR restrictions. Do you see them ever lifting or lightning the restrictions any time soon? Or is it something I should just not worry about?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t worry about it. Mille Lacs real estate seldom loses value. Stay away from the reservation and your value will hold.

As far as restrictions……………check with GLIFWC and the Mille Lacs Bands DNR. The Minnesota DNR only does what they are told.

Also, GLIFWC is allowed to net 58 lakes in central Minnesota.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya I agree with Dutch. The property value will remain at least stable if not go up.

Will the walleye harvest every go back to what it once was? Unlikely. Even the DNR Fisheries Chief admits that because its just unsustainable. However, the fishing is still fantastic for walleye, smallmouth, and muskie.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks guys, I guess I’m just hesitant because of course the realtor will say that the fishing is amazing.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

you see them ever lifting or lightning the restrictions any time soon? Or is it something I should just not worry about?

Thanks guys, I guess I’m just hesitant because of course the realtor will say that the fishing is amazing.

As long as co-management continues I don’t see it ever going above a 2 fish walleye limit, and a 2 fish limit may be optimistic. However, the fishing IS amazing, other than Lake Erie I don’t know many places where you can go out and catch 20+ walleye all year long with many above 25″. Plus the smallies, northerns and musky are all world class. And the panfish can be great as well. Even with 10k+ lakes in MN, lakeshore property will always be in high demand, and imo fishing regulations have little to no affect on property values for the general public lakeshore buyers.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I don’t know many places where you can go out and catch 20+ walleye all year long with many above 25″. Plus the smallies, northerns and musky are all world class.

That’d be the sippi with a liberal limit and sustainable harvest
    toast

sktrwx2200

Its the best walleye lake in the world.. AIM event beat even ERIE.. no matter how many walleyes your allowed to kill and eat.. That fact still remains. Ridiculously good Ice fishing,Winter events, family friendly activities everywhere, beautiful scenic area, quick drive from the cities.

How many walleyes you can kill shouldn’t deter you from a property.. there are alot of other factors. If you love fishing.. IMO you cant buy better a better lake property.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Property values have been stagnant for years. Most properties were over valued up until the 2008 recession hit. Most property values crashed at that point and are now just at recovery. (Price = Value) There are deals and disappointments out there. Plenty of poor buying decisions have been made. (Over paying for a cabin and then defaulting on the loan.) Some prices are just plain out of line because the seller (or bank) is trying to recoup lost value on their poor decisions.

Also consider if the land is in Mille Lacs or Aitken county. Taxes and building rules are quite different. Make sure your plan would be allowed. For example, improvements, additions, new structures (pole barnes) well and septic rules all vary. Plenty of bad wells and septic systems out there that will require updates at sale. Or perfectly good systems that now don’t meet code. In other words if the water works and the toilet flushes, does not necessarily mean all is good to go. Make sure you know and understand all of the setback regs on the property. You may have a huge lot and little of it is buildable or even usable. (Set back from road and set back from lake may leave little room in between.)

Agree on the fishing regs never going back to state regs. Plan on a 1-2 fish limit with a short season for the long term. Keep in mind there are many, many good fishing lakes within a short drive.

***Edit to add one more comment. Associations and Easements.. (Harbor or property) Avoid them like the plague. Don’t buy into any “Sharing” agreement. Own it outright or turn and run!

Good Luck on your search!

-J.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.