black river harbor?

• brianjkuphal

thinking of trying the area out in aughust for some trolling,does anyone fish out there,i have heard some things about it,i was curious about it for some time now,is there good trout and salmon fishing there,any info would be greatly appreciated,thanks…..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Grant and I fished it last August and the bite was solid. The harbor itself is very nice and claims to have the highest catch rate per hour fished of any harbor on Superior in US waters. If that’s true or not, who’s to say… but that’s something we kept hearing.

We ran out about 8 miles into 80 – 120 feet and fished for lakers and did fairly well two days in a row. Day one we had 11 fish, most in the 4 – 8 lb range. The second day we had about the same total but we did have a couple larger fish with one laker pushing mid-teens.

This area also produces some big steelhead and kings but those species come down to timing.

Overall I’d say it was an area I’d fish again without hesitation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished it once and we caught a good number of lakers the same size James mentions. Funny thing was most of the fish had white colored meat and were super fatty inside. The captain had a name for that type of laker and he hated them. When I say hate I mean he was killing them before throwing back. I think they were planted? The other type of laker was slimmer with lean orange meat. Those were the ones we kept. I did keep one of the other ones and true to what I heard I caught my grill on fire.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

I fished it once and we caught a good number of lakers the same size James mentions. Funny thing was most of the fish had white colored meat and were super fatty inside. The captain had a name for that type of laker and he hated them. When I say hate I mean he was killing them before throwing back. I think they were planted? The other type of laker was slimmer with lean orange meat. Those were the ones we kept. I did keep one of the other ones and true to what I heard I caught my grill on fire.

The terms typically used up here for those fish are Fats and Leans. Another term for the leans is Red Fin. Both come in all sizes. The fats are greasy as you can imagine while the leans have much better flesh. Typically most folks resign any fats they keep, if any, to their smokers. Hopefully most folks are simply letting go the fats if they don’t want them and not outright killing them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.