Microwave Ring Perch & Crappie?

• riverbottoms

Can anybody tell me how to microwave ring perch & crappie. My grandson and I caught some nice fish but he doesn’t like fried
    fish. Thanks for any help.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Have you considered trying Shore Lunch oven style?
    or maybe even Walleye White Chili? (any white meat fish works)

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2018-03-15-at-8.58.35-AM.png

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

There are so many different ways to cook fish. One of my wife’s favorite is on the grill and done like shrimp scampi or you could bake it. It takes some extra work but I have made burger patties out of fish. One of my favorite is to make some fish tacos.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Have you considered trying Shore Lunch oven style?
    or maybe even Walleye White Chili? (any white meat fish works)

Kind of a strange request by the OP to microwave fish? And what are ring perch?

Not making any judgement, just seemed like an unusual request being there so many easy ways to prepare fish without frying.

I am always looking for new and different ways to try, and I have never seen one before for walleye chili.

Thanks Mark for sharing this…I will definitely give it a try!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Lately I been trying to get away from frying all the time. I’ve been throwing a tablespoon or two of real butter in a pan and cooking the fish with a couple sprinkles of salt and pepper. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and the clean up is just wiping out a pan and they taste fantastic. I think people really overthink cooking fish and believe it always need to be fried in oil with a thick crust.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Put fillets in a glass dish with a 1/2” of water or so, some butter and whatever seasoning you like . Cover and cook . Basically steams them , quick and easy and surprisingly good .

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Cantonese Steamed Fish – A 20 Minute Recipe

We’ve been doing this lately served over rice. Delicious! Works better with meatier fillets, but have done it with panfish, just don’t need to steam fillets as long.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Our family favorite is fish tacos. Pat dry the fillets with a paper towel and then powder/shake them in a mixture of flour, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, salt/pepper and either fry in light butter or bake on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper at 425 for ~8-10 minutes. Serve on tortillas w/ shredded cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro and lime. For a seasoned sauce I mix equal parts of mayo/unsweetened yogurt or sour cream w/ chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe try pan seared fillets. Basically searing them in a hot pan with not coatings. Just seasonings. Hot pan with butter just to the point of burning. Drop fillet in a minute or two on each side. Season quickly with favorite seasoning. I try to get a little burn/crust on the outside for extra flavor. Fillets cook very fast this way. Do not over cook or they will be dry. As soon as the fork pokes through they are done. You really get the flavor of the fish this way. May change what types of fish you like to keep. So far mine is pike.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We grill filets all the time – a little olive oil and whatever seasoning you like. Throw them on a sheet of tinfoil. They cook through in 5-7 minutes and you can eat them like that or throw them in a sammie or tortilla.

Ryan Wilson

Microwaving fish should result in the state revoking your fishing license…..

A foil packet and an oven (or a grill, fire pit, or even just a stove top) are your best friend here. You could always smoke it too. You can make your own smoker out of a cardboard box, wood chips, a hot plate, and a pie tin. Look up Alton Brown’s diy smoker.

My grandma likes to use a Nu-Wave hot air cooker. It cooks frozen Tilapia rather well (always comes out flaky and moist). I imagine it would cook fresh fish equally as well.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Microwaving fish should result in the state revoking your fishing license…..

This was my thought exactly… until I was forced to try it. It tastes great and I would bet a crisp $100 bill you can’t tell the difference between your foil packet and a microwaved fish. Just sayin… don’t knock it until you try it.

Put fillets in a glass dish with a 1/2” of water or so, some butter and whatever seasoning you like . Cover and cook . Basically steams them , quick and easy and surprisingly good .

X2 and I’m EXTREMELY picky when it comes to my fish.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It tastes great and I would bet a crisp $100 bill you can’t tell the difference between your foil packet and a microwaved fish.

I’d love to take this challenge, and I’ve never had perch/crappie out of foil. Not being a Richard, sincerely interested how microwaved fish can be good.

If he doesn’t like fried I’d try dressing it up differently. This fish cake recipe is from Amy Thielen and is one of my favorites and the other one is from Gord Pyzer that I plan on trying soon!

Attachments:
    1. AC64F981-C9CF-492F-8E0C-0690F2AF5E9D.png

2. D60A429E-D07A-4F6C-85B4-FF24A46B4C60.png

3. 5D972619-CAD3-405B-9CD6-F1F9BAD3AF7F.png

404 ERROR
    MN

I had a co-worker who ate microwaved whitefish at least 3 days a week. It took me almost an entire year to finally try a piece and it was surprisingly good. He would sprinkle a little Lawry’s and pepper on it, microwave and squeeze a lemon over the top once finished. It was good enough that I’m guilty of doing it at home. I’m with Joe on this one, I don’t think one would be able to distinguish steamed vs microwaved fish very easily.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’d love to take this challenge, and I’ve never had perch/crappie out of foil. Not being a Richard, sincerely interested how microwaved fish can be good.

Let’s set up the time and place grin

I can’t tell you how against this I was at first. I would have bet a $1000 the fish would taste horrible out of a microwave. I had a guy telling me about this method and I was like “there is no way I’m wrecking a walleye fillet in the microwave!” Then he made me some… well, it’s steamed walleye. No way around it. It was good and talk about easy. No “microwave” taste what so ever!

When I’m in a big hurry this method works great. I personally fry most of my fish but steamed in a packet on the grill or microwaved you will not be able to tell the difference. Except one takes way longer to make.

Ryan P
    Farmington

So how long do you microwave it for?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Keep in mind I’m a guy who can’t eat a restaurant fish. I can’t even stand the smell of a restaurant fish. Also microwaved fried fish has to be the worst thing anyone has tried to feed me. Try the recipe Mike posted and you will be surprised!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

So how long do you microwave it for?

It depends on how thick the fillet is. I cook it a few minutes. If its not done just pop it in a bit longer. Then a pick the fillet out of the glass dish and place it a plate. Sometimes I’ve set it on a paper towel for a second to dry it off a bit. I’ll add a bit more seasoning at this time. I like Lowerys but I’m sure there are better seasonings to use. Add a side of rice or something and you have a walleye meal in under 5 min!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

…And what are ring perch?

Ring perch are delicious. They are yellow fish with black stripes down the side of them. Some people call them yellow perch. ) I think ring perch is a local vernacular. Growing up in Northeast Iowa, that was what we called them.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

…And what are ring perch?

Ring <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch are delicious. They are yellow fish with black stripes down the side of them. Some people call them yellow perch. ) I think ring <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch is a local vernacular. Growing up in Northeast Iowa, that was what we called them.

Yes, the curiosity got the best of me and I googled it. I found a YouTube video of ring perch from someone in Nebraska and figured it had to be local vernacular.

As far as microwave cooking, my initial thought was no way. But then after seeing Mike Martine’s post I thought sure, just like steamed fish…should be no different.

I still like Hunting4Walleye’s method as I have done that many times too. Just browned in butter with a little salt and pepper.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.