Salmon Fishing this Weekend

• jech84

Alright IDO, I have a question for you guys from my old man. My parents are heading out to Door County for a long weekend trip this weekend. My mom has her sight on the wine vineyards and my dad has his sight on some Lake Michigan KINGS. We have gone out of Door County/Algoma area in past with our boat and have done quite well but that was in July/Early August. Usually my parents would bring their boat but its just too much work to get out the down riggers, re-line all poles, turn the pro-v into a salmon catching machine etc etc so they have decided to go with a charter. And my old man wants to learn some new tricks of the big water. I know the lake is not on fire but where would they have the best opportunity to get on some fish? Should they stay up in Door County area or should they go farther south? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

I’ve never fished further up Door County past mid August, but have done pretty well around Sturgeon Bay in September…kings moving in to spawn (going through the ship canal). Would assume that most ports/rivers south of Door County all having salmon moving in, staging to spawn. To that end, consider shore fishing opportunities. Getting them trolling is a blast, but shore fishing is outta this world

Hope this helps!

Jim

><(((>

navavic
    Chicago Il.

YEP LIMPFISH IS RIGHT THERE IS NOTTHING LIKE CATCHING THESE FISH FROM SHORE, WHEN YOU GET ONE THE FIGHT IS ON!

jech84

Spoke with the parents and by the sounds of things the fishing wasn’t so good. They called and couldn’t find a charter that even really wanted to take them out. All the captains were honest and told them it really wasn’t worth the time and money. They did see a 25lb king caught off the shore in Algoma but that was about it. Sounded like they still had a pretty good time. Hopefully in two weeks we may be heading back out that way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.