IDO Slammin Salmon GTG – Boater or Rider?

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

*Flatfish here: FYI > Myself, Chris H. & Rick M are staying at the Airport Holiday Inn Friday night & Saturday night.

Where’s everyone else staying?

* Randy, can you get a better weather forecast ) ?

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I will be staying at the Super 8 near the airport Friday and Saturday night

Dave

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

*Flatfish here: FYI > Myself, Chris H. & Rick M are staying at the Airport Holiday Inn Friday night & Saturday night.

Where’s everyone else staying?

* Randy, can you get a better weather forecast ) ?

Sure – Somewhere it will be slightly overcast, high of 80, on on the leading edge of a stalled out low pressure mass, with winds calm to 2 mph out of the west. Fish will will be in 30 fow feeding heavily in the center of the water column on anything tossed into the lake. LOL
    Better?? I wish we could get a few consecutive days like that

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

Hello Everyone,
    I am not sure if anyone has Jolene and I planned for their boat but I am going to have to back out. I have become short staffed and can not make it work. Perhaps I could just leave a bucket on the counter and we could operate on the honor system. I would love to get out there in the next few weeks so if anyone wants to make another trip out I am in. I dont have much to offer but some good laughs, ham sandwiches and of course cold hard cash!!! Thanks, Chris Winchester

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Chris – let me know how your time is as you get closer to Sept for Harbor jigging. We can make something happen.

That opens my boat for Saturday morning. Olivia wanted to go, so I’ll now have 1 open seat for Sat AM

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

As Randy listed, I never paired up with anybody for this event. I figured it would be better to keep my boat open til the very end to ensure that anybody who wanted to come could find a seat. I never anticipated that we would have more seats available than people to take them. It’s probably a good thing as you really don’t want to “crowd” boats on the big pond. Especially if it gets a little wavy. This does create an interesting opportunity though. If somebody really wants to bring their boat, but doesn’t really have much gear or tackle. I could jump in their boat and bring all my stuff. Just figured that I would throw this option out there, as I’ve done the same thing before with friends who just wanted to see how their boats fished out here, but didn’t want to invest all the money in their own gear.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I can’t fish on Sunday due to some obligations with family so I’ll be coming out Thursday evening and plan to fish Friday and Saturday with a couple buddies. I’ll be looking forward to meeting old friends and making some new ones as well.

Is there a plan for everyone to get together for a later supper on Friday evening?

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Going back a few post to Randy’s ‘better forecast’…. ROTFLMAO ) !!!

Humm Friday supper???
    Fish til dark then find some food… sounds interesting….
    I think I (we) could be game.
    What did you have in mind?
    Berger joint?
    Spaghetti place?
    Pizza Place?
    Mexican! oh ya…..

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Finally made it out to the Big Pond yesterday, joining a buddy in his boat for a late afternoon start. Set lines at 4:30 pm, working 60 to 85 fow east of the green can. First hit came at 6:30 with lots of marks 70 fow, as we headed shallower as low-light approached. Kept circling around and went 6 for 10, with 4 bo’s and 2 chins, calling it quits at 9:30, after a 30 minute lull. Only a handful of boats fishing south; most of the fleet went north.
    Surface water was at 58 to 60, but Depth Raider showed pretty constant 40 degrees from 30 to 50 down. Dipseys, riggers, and boards with 5 and 7 colors, all took hits, so no specific pattern.
    Will try to get out there again on Thursday evening for a fresher report. See you all Saturday.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the report.
    Great job on your part.
    Mostly Flashers and Fly’s? Or did you get into spoons too?
    Can’t wait.
    I’d be pleased to do that well…..
    )

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m cancelling doing any jigging on Sat/Sun. The bite has been about midnight to about 4:30 am with only getting a couple browns for the effort. I have a message into Nate and we can consolidate the open boats. I think Art & Gary also had open boats. Mudshark is coming down by me and will need to jump into a boat. I also need to have Greg hop into a boat for Sat afternoon. I’ll be out and away from the puter for the next couple days – I can be reached at 262-617-5161

Which launch are we going out of? What time are we meeting up? Where/what time for lunch?

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Nate was saying we would put in at South Shore Park for the launch site.

Dave

z-man
    Dousman, WI

We ran 6 spoons and two FF’s. Switched to glow spoons on all at about 7 pm, as it was low-light well before sundown due to hazy, overcast skies.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

The plan is to launch out of South Shore Yacht Club Saturday morning around 4am. I dont think we’ll do a formal shotgun launch or anything, so if you want to sleep in a bit more or jump off even earlier that’s fine. But the 4am launch time is pretty standard and allows you to get out, get lines set, and hopefully have your first fish on by sunrise.

We’ll meet back there around 11-noon to clean fish and have a little barbeque, meet and greet before heading back out for the afternoon bite.

I really think South Shore is a much better option for what were doing. There’s just no room to grill out at McKinley and the pleasure boaters, sailboats, and charters out of there make the launch extremely busy on weekends.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

For everyone coming as a rider, BRING A COOLER.

You will need somewhere to keep fish. Bring some gallon zip lock bags, a fillet knife, and ice. Fillet knife isn’t critical as I always travel with multiple and more than one guy will have an electric so you usually only need to rib them with a regular knife. You can’t haul fish home in your pockets and they get ripe pretty fast if you just throw them in your back seat so a cooler is pretty critical if you want any fish.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

James- Glad to hear you’re gonna be able to make it down for at least part of the weekend! Should be a great time. As far as a post-fishing dinner on Friday, here’s my thoughts. By the time you fish through sundown, get in, clean your fish, tidy up the boat, and get anywhere to eat. It will probably be at least 10PM. Now, by the time you get served and eat, youll probably be sitting on 11 and still have to get back to wherever your staying and wake up the next morning at 3/330am…. Not impossible, but not allowing for much sleep either.

Im gonna propose a simpler idea. I probably won’t fish Friday night, just so I can be available, should anybody traveling in need any assistance. What I was thinking, is that I could meet you guys down at the launch around dark with a bunch of pizzas or we could all meet at my house after fishing for pizzas and a beer or two. Just an idea and thinking out loud here, but I think this might be a little easier to do than going out somewhere Friday night. Im open to whatever though, so just let me know what you all think.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

UPDATE – Gary Sander boater (filled) Jeff Skarbo & Randy Wieland

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I am teaming up with Joel as his first mate as it looks like all riders have seats for the weekend.

Art

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Due to a lack of communication on my part, we have a rider (Salmon Steve) who needs a seat for Friday/Sat/Sun. Any openings left?

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Due to a lack of communication on my part, we have a rider (Salmon Steve) who needs a seat for Friday/Sat/Sun. Any openings left?

ChambersChamp- Ive left my boat open until this point for exactly this circumstance. I really didn’t want anybody who wanted to come to be left out. I will have room for 1-2guys depending on size of person and wave conditions we see.

Only problem is that I currently have a blown cdm coil in my main motor. It got ordered yesterday and Im hoping to have her back up and running by Thursday. I’m not going to commit to anything yet, but there’s a real good chance that SalmonSteve can jump in with me. I’ll let you know as soon as the boats back up and running.

If my main motor doesn’t get fixed by the weekend. I may have a buddy bring his boat down to fish out of, otherwise I’ll be trying to squeeze in somebody elses boat or fishing in close on just the kicker. I have a feeling that fishing skinny water might be the game plan even if the big motor does get fixed……..

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I talked with Art and he is willing to run his boat as well.
    It’s all rigged and ready to go.
    If necessary, he could take two people also.

spike down

Hey guys, this is samlon steve. I didn’t know we had a thread going to confirm spots until today. I have not been on this sight since I transferred jobs shortly after the annual red wing trip (cant wait till next year!) I thought I had a spot set up weeks ago when committed to this trip. I have (2) 9′ shamono braid dipsys set up(can be a rigger set up), (2) lead core set up, 1s.w.r. 2 color that can be ran as a board rod. I have a boat but its only set up for 2 people to fish and didn’t make travel accommodations that included my crappie truck and rig. I’d much appreciate a spot if anyone has one. Be nice to also directly talk talk to if you do.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Spike down follow up with Nathan.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Gentlemen. Thank you for going out of your way to make sure that all riders have seats. Had I been on the ball this wouldn’t be an issue… but I’m far from on the ball in most circumstances, and I apologize. Like I said, lack of communication on my part is the reason for the snafu. I’m really glad Salmon Steve chimed in too. He’s a good friend and a great cat. Sometimes he catches some fish too. Looking forward, hopefully we see some more post’s from him on IDO…

Finally. Nate, I wanted to absolutely confirm that we had a place to set a tent to sleep. I had heard that we did, but wanted to make sure.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Finally. Nate, I wanted to absolutely confirm that we had a place to set a tent to sleep. I had heard that we did, but wanted to make sure.

I sent you an email earlier regarding your place to stay. When you go back to work, check your email.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Nate and Steve, I have a space for the 2 of you in my boat as Joel posted above.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    South Shore Park Access

Last Saturday I was in Brown Deer for a swim meet and told parts of I94 were closed due to construction. Is that still true?

Greg, that was correct. I-94 had been completely closed down, but has since re-opened lanes.

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/21/relief-for-drivers-i-94-reopens-after-full-freeway-closure-over-the-weekend/#ooid=x1ZDU1bzo8Hp7w1mSG87W3ttm2UWociH

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

With no gear and no salmon experience I’m likely just planning on meeting Saturday for the mid-day gathering since that was the highlight of the Bago winter GTG. I think I caught the most fish that day, a 5″ perch and 4″ walleye. LOL, hate to bring that jinx to anyone’s boat. The only time I was on the lake was in ’75 for a ferry trip to MI so I’m feeling I’m out of my comfort zone and clueless.

Joel, is the Mayfly hatch over on Lake WI? I was there on the 5th and the smallies were so stuffed with the buggers they were barfing them up all over the deck of the boat so my partner made me unhook them boat side in the water. I’m anxious to get back there and hope they grew but not easily finding as much to eat.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.