Shore fishing around Sheboygan

• Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I’ll be heading up to the sheboygan area for a few days this week and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for some shore fishing on the big lake. The boys and FW will be with and the boys would like to do a little fishing while up there. We have a charter booked so we are hoping to get some action there – I sure hope the weather and the fish cooperate for that outing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

gordonk
    mpls

I grew up around there and visit several times a year. The north and south piers both offer good shore fishing, but the best fishing is usually right around sun up or sun down and you need the right wind, but it can be done. There is ample parking at Blue Harbor resort just feet away from the south pier and several stores along the harbor for after.

It helps if you have a long handled net, since the pier is about four or five feet off the water. The lake side is usually better than the harbor side and a west wind helps, since it blows the warmer water off shore and lets the cooler water well up underneath.

You can use two rods, so if you can bag some four inch alewife, throw one out on a slip bobber or bottom rig and cast spoons with another. Just keep the bail open on the bottom rig or a salmon will swim off with it. Yes, I’m speaking from experience.

Don’t ignore the giant carp that swim in the harbor if you get desperate. Throw out some handfuls of corn and you might bag a 30 pounder.

Eighth street runs through the downtown and I’d check out Stephano’s wood fired pizza for lunch or supper and right next door is another restaurant called Knife and Fork or something that is also very good.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I also grew up in Sheboygan. Field to fork is a good restaurant on 8th street. I know a lot of people will fish in the river. Otherwise as mentioned either pier would give you an opportunity. You could also try casting spoons and letting them sink a bit before retrieving them.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Both guys are spot-on on the places to fish, though the parking seems to have changed since the last time I was over there. Being proactive will keep your rod on the deck as mentioned…

Here are a couple of methods we used back in the day:

We always tied the rods off using some type of slip knot and ran the rope in front of the reel. When opening the bail, place a rubber band above the reel seat and slip the line underneath it. We also did this in conjunction with some type of line indicator, either a bell or some type of styro. When using the styro, we found that finding a dissolvable material was beneficial for the environment. Catfish bells will signal bites as well on the rod as well.

Another method was to half fill a bottle or can and run the line around it. Glass bottle were the most distinguishable, but you ran the risk of them breaking. Cans worked nicely. Place the line on the top half and the line going out would tip the can or bottle over signalling the strike and allowing the fish to run with the bait.

Good luck!!!

Mark

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks for the info. Ht the north pier tonight but no luck. Tried to go the Field to Fork but learned they were only open for lunch – walked down to Ledendary Larry’s for wings which were good but not sure they were legendary.

Booked with Willie Bee charters tomorrow afternoon and hoping the weather and fish cooperate.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.