Metro Ice Fishing Locations. White Bear?

• AnotherFisherman

Typically I ice fish up north on Leech, however, this winter, I’m looking to do some more fishing around the metro area. Has anyone fished White Bear lake before? I have never fished it, but it looks like there could be a few decent spots on the lake. Don’t need specific locations, but would love to hear recommendations on lakes in the metro you’ve had success on. Mainly go for walleye, but a crappie bite is always welcome.

Walleye Hungry

lots of pressure but i have found most of the walleyes are caught between 1am and 4am

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Typically I ice fish up north on Leech, however, this winter, I’m looking to do some more fishing around the metro area. Has anyone fished White Bear lake before? I have never fished it, but it looks like there could be a few decent spots on the lake. Don’t need specific locations, but would love to hear recommendations on lakes in the metro you’ve had success on. Mainly go for walleye, but a crappie bite is always welcome.

I fish it a lot. It is extremely pressured. Takes a lot of work to find them.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

used to fish it a little bit. The biggest challenge is to find secondary spots that get overlooked. Lots of crowds.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

It’s also a lake where people like to park next to each other, even when one is trying to park away from others.

I hate that even more when it’s still kind of borderline driving ice.

Overall, big fish, little fish, sometimes no fish.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s also a lake where people like to park next to each other, even when one is trying to park away from others.

I hate that even more when it’s still kind of borderline driving ice.

Overall, big fish, little fish, sometimes no fish.

Every year my fire dept pulls a vehicle out of shallow water that has gone through ice in the first couple days after it freezes over. The ice depth can vary on that lake by a lot.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

As stated earlier it gets absolutely pounded and is very clear water. Can find crappies and eyes if you’re willing to change it up a little bit. Not an easy or my favorite place to fish. I lived literally right across the street and 9/10 would rather drive somewhere else.

tim hurley

If the best bite is between 1and 4 like walleye said you don’t have to worry about crowds. I might go there Sunday to check out some spots, lake can be feast or famine. Can be hot when its snowing.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

There is a consistent ice bite for walleyes but it took me 5 years of work to find it and I can’t hand it out to people. What I can say, is fish away from the crowds, and if you get into them one day, don’t expect them to be there the next time you go out. They are very skittish and don’t like a lot of noise.

tim hurley

Keep it to yourself 14! I used to have a tiny spot that was great for big crappies, right in the metro-never kept any-Local dude talked with me for about a half an hour out there-I intentionaly stayed out of the zone, caught a 6” sunfish while he was there, Said:Yes!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Keep it to yourself 14! I used to have a tiny spot that was great for big crappies, right in the metro-never kept any-Local dude talked with me for about a half an hour out there-I intentionaly stayed out of the zone, caught a 6” sunfish while he was there, Said:Yes!

lol

It does suck, I generally want to let people know so they can catch fish but I got burned big time last year on one of my spots on a different lake. Told a guy about it and a week later I went out and there were 20 guys on my spot when I had been the only one on the lake for the first month of the season. Learned my lesson on metro lakes.

AnotherFisherman

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

lol

It does suck, I generally want to let people know so they can catch fish but I got burned big time last year on one of my spots on a different lake. Told a guy about it and a week later I went out and there were 20 guys on my spot when I had been the only one on the lake for the first month of the season. Learned my lesson on metro lakes.

Fully agree. I want people to catch fish and have fun, but you share a spot, and boom, the place is packed before too long.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tim I would be careful checking spots Sunday. The will probably be ALMOST safe. I went out from Bellaire yesterday with a spud and found 1.5-2 inches. Not good clear ice either. Didn’t venture out too far. With the weather this coming week it should be perfectly safe by the next weekend. I’ll be out there then.

tim hurley

No I was going to go last sunday from a boat-did not go, too much snow and my new Humminbird was not hooked up so I took a pass-bummed really wanted to sidefinder some areas. I’ll wait for good ice, in the process of moving into a new place so I’ll be doing more wishin’ than fishin’ for a while. We should be making some ice next week sounds like.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No I was going to go last sunday from a boat-did not go, too much snow and my new Humminbird was not hooked up so I took a pass-bummed really wanted to sidefinder some areas. I’ll wait for good ice, in the process of moving into a new place so I’ll be doing more wishin’ than fishin’ for a while. We should be making some ice next week sounds like.

rotflol Gotta remember to look at the dates on the posts apparently….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.