Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I like summer.
    This year its supposed to be a Tuesday…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Double barf

Dave maze
    Isanti

Looks like you’ll have to spend some quality time with the family this weekend jester jester

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Barf

That’s just Saturday, wait ’til Sunday with more morning wake-up snow and then NNW winds 23 mph gusting to 40 mph.

Anyone planning on getting out for some ice fishing this weekend? wave

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Come on guys. It’s the first real winter in a long time.
    Yes it gets old fast. I work in it everyday and travel all over the cities. It’s not really that bad though it’s kind of nice. Opens up a bunch of fun things we dont normally get to do

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I really don’t mind it, yea lake access is miserable, but I can deal with that, I’m still on fish.
    What gets me is three weekends in a row with storms. If the rest of the snow this month could come mid week I’d be happy.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yes it gets old fast. I work in it everyday and travel all over the cities. It’s not really that bad though it’s kind of nice. Opens up a bunch of fun things we dont normally get to do

Actually it didn’t get old fast from the beginning until the end of February. Now it is getting old right now with walleye season closed, too much snow and slush to even get out for some panfish, too cold now for March (we set a record low BTW) and snow piling up to our armpits.

But yes…”a bunch of fun things we don’t normally get to do”…like holing up at home watching IDO episodes on YouTube. laugh

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

uncle… Uncle… UUNNNCLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

What gets me is three weekends in a row with storms. If the rest of the snow this month could come mid week I’d be happy.

I don’t know where you are grubson but we’ve had a parade of “snow events” midweek. I can stand witness to that as I’ve spent numerous times these last few weeks waiting for delayed buses, double time getting to and from work on such delayed buses. mad

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This is going to be some heavy heavy snow. Anything over 6″ will be difficult to move and wreak havoc on weaker structures that have never been cleared.

It’s still a long ways out and most of the model runs still have some pretty glaring inconsistencies. Hopefully it’s a “no-rain” event with only a few inches of snow.

milemark_714

This is going to be some heavy heavy snow. Anything over 6″ will be difficult to move and wreak havoc on weaker structures that have never been cleared.

It’s still a long ways out and most of the model runs still have some pretty glaring inconsistencies. Hopefully it’s a “no-rain” event with only a few inches of snow.

One could hope so.If not,just another nail in the coffin for beating 1965 river levels.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>

I don’t know where you are grubson but we’ve had a parade of “snow events” midweek. I can stand witness to that as I’ve spent numerous times these last few weeks waiting for delayed buses, double time getting to and from work on such delayed buses. mad

I never said we haven’t had snow mid week, I just much prefer it that way.
    If we get the forecasted snow this coming weekend it’ll be 3 in a row for me. 2 weeks ago I was on and drove home from lotw during the big wind, last week the fw and I both had Friday off, baby sitter lined up all day and we got 4-5″ of snow… we still got out and had a good time, even caught a few.
    I usually get weekends only to fish and I’m really looking forward one where snow, slush, and frostbite aren’t factors to contend with.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>

City problems, that’s why I don’t go there. Unless it’s to fish P2…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

One could hope so.If not,just another nail in the coffin for beating 1965 river levels.

I’m not willing to go that far yet thinking we’d hit 1965 levels. That flood literally changed every pool of the Mississippi and surrounding watersheds into what they are today. I’m hoping for a steady gradual melt beginning next week. Sunny days with highs in the mid 30s would be ideal. 1965 had a record cold snowy March before an extreme warm-up and widespread rains.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

We had just as much snow on the ground in 2014, it was a gradual melt that didn’t result in anything above ordinary. I think the fact that we got it all in one month is making people run to higher ground.

Hoping for a nice slow and steady melt toast

milemark_714

All I can say is March is a month that can’t be trusted.Way too many what-ifs.

tangler
    Inactive

1965. Shudder. flame

Pike island historic flood pole:

I run by this thing all the time in the summer and think to myself, how could that even be possible? This is St Paul airport during the 2001 flood and then look at the difference on the pole between 65 and 01 shock

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Its been a while since I’ve put this many miles on my snowmobile. Most years you’d only get a couple weeks, if that, to ride around home. It’d either warm up and melt, or there isn’t enough base on the trails and your riding and dirt half the time. The kids are having fun making snow forts and they have lasted multiple weeks. They haven’t melted down and collapsed. My yard is going to be a terrible mess when it does finally warm up, but I’l deal with that when it gets here. For now, I’ll make due with what I’m handed. So far, it’s not too bad! I only have 37″ in the yard.. Bring it on!

Charles

Keep having snow light this, your going to need to buy long track sled lol.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Keep having snow light this, your going to need to buy long track sled lol.

Not going to lie, its a good workout “driving” the sled in the ditches. It’s DEEP, but a blast! I was putting around the yard with the kids just yesterday and told them they gotta lean with me or we’ll tip over. Well, we tipped over twice. Once with each kid. We were at relatively slow speeds so no damage or injuries. Just gotta show the sled who’s boss! SEND IT!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Stay tuned. There’s more coming after this weekend. rotflol

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I bought a brand-new Yamaha Kodiak 700 on January 31 and tricked it out for ice fishing. We all know what followed in February. It has been on the ice once. flame That’s really my only beef with this snowy weather.

Yesterday and the day before I was the only soul on Osakis’ Manthey’s Bay. This time last year, it looked like the State Fair out there. It’s kinda nice when the meathunters stay home.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

coffee

I run by this thing all the time in the summer and think to myself, how could that even be possible? This is St Paul airport during the 2001 flood and then look at the difference on the pole between 65 and 01

I was working for the MAC during that flood, those old buildings have limestone basements that are water conveyors so that sand bagging effort around the old Terminal was ineffective.
    It will be interesting to watch that this spring, there is fairly new flood control project that we finished several years ago that is designed to with stand a flood of the 1965 water levels.

The flood system is designed to basically make the airport a dry Island and it should be able to maintain operations during a flood event. I am glad that I will be able watch from the outside this time.

coffee

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I remember sand bagging the Hudson marina in the 01 flood. They even sent jail birds in to help.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Ummmm…. last year was a solid 6 month winter. Including the cherry on top dumping of snow on April 16th. Lakes were barely, I mean barely, open by fishing opener.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I like winter, but after about 3 months of it I’m ready to move on. By my count, winter came early (again) this year beginning of November. Yes, we had some mild stuff afterward, only to give us a brown Christmas. So in my opinion we’ve had 4+ months already. Spring can come anytime………..

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I like winter, but after about 3 months of it I’m ready to move on. By my count, winter came early (again) this year beginning of November. Yes, we had some mild stuff afterward, only to give us a brown Christmas. So in my opinion we’ve had 4+ months already. Spring can come anytime………..

I agree. Started early and appears to be on track to end late. Day after Halloween it was in the low-30’s and windy screwing up my river smallie fishing that I usually enjoy deep into November

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

spring comes the same time every year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ummmm…. last year was a solid 6 month winter. Including the cherry on top dumping of snow on April 16th. Lakes were barely, I mean barely, open by fishing opener.
    [/quote]

My sons birthday is April 18th. I think he has experienced a snowy cold birthday 4 of his 7 years. Its Minnesota. Fighting it will never ever work. I get sick of it as well and my wife gets all moody because she’s “trapped” inside. But really there are a ton of fun things to do out side in the winter. Even if its driving down secluded back roads looking at how pretty the trees are with all the snow on them.
    I cant stand being trapped inside. We dont even really have TV. So me and the kid stay busy out side. Unless brutal cold winds. Yes it does suck but just make the best of a crappy hand. And for the lakes being open. I just fish the river

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.