Dead fish???????

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Got a report from a very reliable source that dead fish were viewed on a fish camera lying on the bottom of the cut off. If anyone else sees anything like this on their cameras ice fishing this year, make a post here on IDO so we can contact the DNR. So far, the ice reports have been marginal at best. With the fish kill last year (which went unnoticed by the DNR until way too late), we all know how it effected the lake this past summer for most species.

thanks,

Jeremy

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I don’t use a camera, but did fish late Sunday afternoon for a bit on the Cut-off. Pulled a skunk, and barely marked any fish at all. There were a few people out, and nobody was catching anything. Had a few tip-downs out with the boys which will usually produce crappies near dark anyway, and they never moved.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I will keep my eye open. I have only been in the bay the 2 times I went out so far. I sure saw a lot of fish down there though. Everything from bluegills, crappies, perch, large mouth bass and northern pike. Lot of lookers and not many takers. The water seems to be a lot more stained/brown than it was last year. It may just be the bay though. My “hot spots” are out on the main lake so I won’t know how the bite compares to last year until I feel comfortable venturing out to them. I’ll note what I see.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

As of Monday afternoon…plenty of ice (6″+) on the main lake…

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

As of Monday afternoon…plenty of ice (6″+) on the main lake…

Thanks for the info. Looks like its time for the fat kid (me) to take a walk. Last weekend I saw some guys out on Kamp’s point Saturday but then no one was back out on Sunday. I just figured i should stay clear after seeing that. Not looking for your spot, but what general area were you in where you had the 6 inches?

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Quote:

Not looking for your spot, but what general area were you in where you had the 6 inches?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I know it sounds shady!! I just don’t feel like gettin’ wet.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

East side…you’re on target. I checked with spud bar working my way out, and no issues. Very little to no snow for the most part, so I’m sure it’s making ice just fine. Areas where there had been a little slush on top have flaky ice on the surface, but still a solid 4-5″ below that. I’d think you’re safe going out from shore pretty much anywhere…just use common sense.

I’m no lightweight either Russ, and was good to go. I got behind the cold front so it was tough fishing, but that should be improving…I hope anyway.

PM me if you want more details.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Was out this morning for a bit on the main lake. Plenty of good ice…I imagine there will be ATV’s and snowmobiles running all over the place this weekend.

Fishing was fairly slow, but did pick up some nice crappies and perch, and a few decent gills among the dinks. Got sick of 4″ whitebass after a while.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Got sick of 4″ whitebass after a while.

Any word on what’s up with those things?

I havent been out ice fishing yet but I know open water Menomin fishing was plagued w/ em’!

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

I was out on the main lake yesterday. For the first time I caught a bunch of white bass. Never knew that they were in the lake until yesterday. They were definately the most aggresive species in the water. Caught a few bluegills and perch – not much size to them. Wish I would have brought the ATV so I could get around to a few more spots – I wouldn’t have a problem traveling by ATV/Snowmobile now.

There was a Chevy Tahoe on ice ice out from the Elk Point landing on Tainter lake yesterday afternoon. That guy must have some serious bearings!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the updates guys!

Jeremy

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I’ve been out the past few mornings. No problem getting limits, combination of crappie, nice perch, and some gills. Still some little whitebass mixed in, but not as bad. Not fast action, but steady at least.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Stretch,
    glad to hear you have been catching some on a regular basis-reports coming in from patient’s really vary. Definitely not the usual first ice success.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Good to hear Stretch!

Now that I graduated my Menomin time will be significantly less

However, I hope to hit the ice a bunch here in the next few weeks while I’m ‘job hunting’

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I thought you had a job all lined up. Maybe you could get a job at Stout?
    Steve

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I thought you had a job all lined up. Maybe you could get a job at Stout?
    Steve

No ‘for sure’ job yet, hopefully I’ll find out something soon

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Congrats Pete on graduating, what was your major?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Congrats Pete on graduating, what was your major?

Thanks!

Major – Information Technology Management
    Minor – Project Management

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Congrats Pete. Good luck in the searching.

Not sure about anyone else…but I’m hoping you get a great job close by. You know…keep those reports coming…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.