Quick Lake Menomin Update 7/19/09

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Well after a long absence from the lake I finally had a chance to hit Menomin for a short trip on Saturday afternoon. After hearing about the poor fishing from the locals and the cold front moving through, let’s just say my expectations were set quite low.

Both Don and Doc had mentioned that the lake was pretty green and man they didn’t lie, it was looking similar to a large bowl of guacamole!

We trolled and trolled and trolled with almost nothing to show, changing cranks and speed, attempting to find something that would trigger these fish to bite. In 2 hours of trolling on the lake we had one pike to show for our efforts

With overall moral a little on the low side we decided to head up river and see if we could piece together anything. The good news is we got into at least a few fish there! Focusing on the deeper stretches 15fow or so and running those cranks tight up to the weeds produced a walleye, pike, and perch.

Overall a less than amazing outing on Menomin, but a 17” legal eye’ is always nice and it was good to get back out on the lake. I wasn’t’ able to try live bait and spinner rig’s but maybe next weekend.

So has anyone else been out lately?

Pic 1 – Krisite with a 17″er
    Pic 2 – Greeen!!!

Dave Bonjour
    Menomonie Wisc

Haven,t heard much of anything being caught on the local lake Pete glad to hear somebody caught something

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If St Patricks Day hit the calendar later in the year, Menomonie could host a heck of an event on Menomin.

Thanks for the update.

Sully

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

It’s coming over the dam from Tainter green as can be—-Menomin does not have a chance.
    I also heard that Chetek is green, so as the saying goes–green floats downriver.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I also heard that Chetek is green, so as the saying goes–green floats downriver.

I will say, the water look’s much nicer when you go up river and into a little current. Hop into a bay or the wind-blown side of the lake… you’re dooomed!

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I remember fishing Lake Menomin last summer for bass. Seemed like the lake bite totally died and the only place you could get bit was in the river.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Hit the lake on Sunday morning for an hour. Trolled and had no hits, was so disgusted with the green water and everything covered in this nasty crap that we packed up and headed to Mr. Halfen’s backyard gem. Fishing was very slow on Wissota also, two 12″ eyes and nothing else. Fished until 2pm and gave up because the pleasure boaters took over the lake.

Chippewa was very slow on Saturday with only a smallie to show. Fishing has been a bit frustrating lately.
    Guess I need to learn pool 3 one of these years, don’t know where to start so I think I will look up one of IDO’s guides and learn these waters.

bigpike

ick. just looking at that stuff through my computer screen makes my allergys ache- I’m so allergic to that stuff. Nice to see you get some fish for your effort Pete!

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

Compared to the past couple years…it seems like the green is actually a bit behind. Went tubing with the kids last week on Tainter, and I could even see my toes 6′ down! Granted that wasn’t in a bay, or on the windy side.

I haven’t been out here fishing for quite a while, but am not surprised that things have become slow.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Anybody been out lately? Sure been quiet in here.

2 weeks and I’ll be in Menomonie full time, I’m excited to get back out there!!!

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

I spose Not too many folks willing to fish for 3 hours and then spend 3 hours cleaning the green off their rig.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I spose Not too many folks willing to fish for 3 hours and then spend 3 hours cleaning the green off their rig.

I think it look’s nice…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Got a report the lake acually was not too bad, but don’t go into the wrong areas. I haven’t been out there in a month–river has been eating up all my time.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Got a report the lake acually was not too bad, but don’t go into the wrong areas.

Do you think all this cooler weather will kill off any of that Alge Bloom?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I would like to say yes to that one, it won’t hurt.
    Lake looks good from the road, I thought I was going to get out there this week, but grass was growing on turbo mode and had to be cut before the rain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.