update

• Don Hanson

Just a quick report for the upcoming week. The eye bite really has not taken off yet, some nice fish can be had if you work for them. on the other hand multi species can be caught trolling the main lake flats. Pike, smallies, largemouth and eyes all are starting to hit cranks.
    I spent the day on the water with Mr. Stillakid2, he will give you some info on the size and color of cranks that worked today.
    I am headed for The RCL event on Big Stone, so I will be gone until Monday. See you on the water, Don

Don Hanson

The first photo is a bass Ken took while trolling. Photo 2 is a doulble header we had. While Ken was in a battle with the bigger fish I was reeling in the second line and the smaller pike hit.

Don Hanson

Some great pike action going on!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sure Don! Leave the technical details for the guy that doesn’t know anything! Well…………I suppose I can make something up for ohhhh…….saaay……….a root beer float! Either way……….here’s the skinny:

Don started the first bite of the day up toward the pilings jigging leeches for eyes. He did find a few on the short side but others in the vicinity were getting some in the “eater” range. More on “eaters” will come in another post here on the WI forum.

When the jig bite seemed to come to an end, we hit the lake flats trolling a small variety of cranks. I used a G Loomis Walleye Series WBR813 with an Abu Garcia T3600C, 10/4 smoke Fireline, and a suspending Rebel Shad R in char/clown. Don put out a pair of 7’6″ St. Croix Tidemasters with Okuma Magda 20 Linecounters, 10lb. Trilene XT. On one Don set up a 3way and the other left for long lining.

On the 3way, I put an FLW Clown (Stick) and we long lined a new Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in the new CD14 size, Firetiger finish.

We were working with only about 60′ of line out the back of the boat and moving at about 1 mph. Water was about 52 degrees and the wind was moderate, barometer rising.

The first fish came on the Shad R and that’s the bass splashing around in the first photo. Second fish was also on the Shad R (bigger pike). As Don went to clear another line, another pike hit on that FLW Clown, giving us a double! That would end the day for both the Shad R and the FLW lure. The Grappler Shad took over and produced more bass and one walleye. DeeZee was right! Grapplers will catch fish! Thanks buddy!

While not the hottest bite on the planet today, we had productive efforts and know for certain that better numbers will be right around the corner. My compliments to the captain of the boat, Don Hanson, as his knowledge and applications are first rate and he’s even pretty good at whistling Dixie!

Good luck out there everyone!

Don Hanson

Thanks for the report “kid”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.