Lake Menomin – May 8th

• kizew
    Dallas, WI

I fished a bass tournament on Lake Menomin on May 8th and the action is really picking up!! Our best quality fish were largemouth caught tight to the bank in 2 to 5 feet of water on a white 3/8 ounce spinnerbait with a nickle and copper Colorado blade. The tournament was won on a jig and pig, and second place was a 4″ ringworm.
    Some of the most fun of the day was when we saw baitfish busting the surface and decided to find out what was chasing them – it was in fact multiple species!! I threw a suspending rogue and twitched it erratically and my no-boater threw a floating rapala and we picked up some very nice walleyes and LARGE pike – the smallmouth were also on the baitfish. The rogue was “clown” colored and the rapala was shad with a blue back.
    My prefishing paid off for us as my no-boater finished 3rd – he was a great guy. As for me, my execution and concentration were both lacking as an 8 hour day a feeling crummy got the best of me. In the last 20 minutes we hit a spot that held a couple nice fish during prefishing and they were still there – My partner and I each caught 2 quality fish in 5 minutes and then made the run back to weigh in.
    It took 12.7 pounds to win and 9.92 for 3rd.
    On a final note the smallmouths are spawning up the river as there are beds with fish on all over.
    Have a great week!!

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Thanks for the report kizew!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.