Memories of your Grandad…

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve been going through some old “home movies” and came across numerous clips of my Grandpas. My mom’s dad was a true adventurer. In this clip, he’s above the Arctic circle, July of 1969, insisting on bagging a Marmot while fishing for lake trout. I have to chuckle because he looks as curiously determined to succeed in his mission as a small child trying to sneak up on anything! What are some of your favorite Grandpa memories?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Grandpa would stab me with a fork if my elbows or forearms were resting on the dinner table. I’m currently passing that onto my daughter )

Nice video thanks for sharing.

Mike Petersen

Grandpa would take my brother and I (about age 7 and 9 at the time) out fishing early in the morning…we would be dressed in snowmobile suits, hats, gloves, and still shivering…Grandpa would be in the back of the boat, wearing only a thin flannel over his t-shirt going wide open down the river…From then on, we swore he was the toughest man in the world…

catmando
    wis

Gramps was WW1 veteran he loved his granddaughters but called us Boys cannon fodder,,, hardly talked to us at all. Other gramp was heck of a guy started a place on
    East
    Okoboji called Kelley s beach ,he had a real long dock fished with him a lot.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

One of my Grandfathers was a golfer and I still golf 1-2 days a week because of that. I find relaxation it really takes your mind off daily events.

My other Grandfather grew up in the depression in North Dakota and was an avid hunter and fisherman. I was introduced to Devils Lake in the 80’s by him and was rewarded by 2lb. perch for following him around on the ice. He was one of the best ice fishermen that I’ve ever known. Keep in mind this was done with a plain jane ice fishing stick (hand over hand) with no electronics or GPS. Every trip was typically successful and without any electronic help.

He was also very good at cards especially Whist which requires keeping track of what was played so I believe this translated to fishing and hunting, remembering what worked.

It was the same with hunting and I can’t count the number of time that he said I remember this field and back in (inset date) that we blasted the birds in this field.

The best thing I remember about him was his patience when dealing with young people. I was quite young and wasn’t paying attention and drifted my line into the 25HP Johnson on his 14’ fishing boat at their cabin. He spent ½ an hour pulling the line out of the prop and then threw out my daredevil and said now let’s catch another one, without missing a beat.

We laid my Grandfather to rest a few years ago but he had 96 years of teaching the younger generation that using your mind is much more powerful than any new gimmick.

Oh yeah, same as FBRM if your left hand wasn’t in your lap and right one gripping a utensil you were getting a lecture and sometimes a head slap.

BTW – Great post! It brings back lots of memories.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.