Mega live from hummingbird is… Live!

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m not sure how anyone will be able to keep up with Garmin in the future. The sheer amount of RD resources and cash they have compared to hbird and lowrance doesn’t exactly make a level playing field.

Having 3 solid options would sure be good for consumers though…….

Robert Duncan

Lowrance got it’s technology from Garmin’s Livescope in a swap on the patent infringement case that Garmin lost. I am sure there is a time limit on the “Sharing of Technology” and that may be why Livescope 2.0 is not out yet.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/tech/navico-and-garmin-settle-patent-dispute

James’s, maybe Mega Live will pay for itself in auger blades! Just think of the extra time you will have to fish.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The size of that transducer is just ridiculous! The sale of 10″ auger bits should increase a bit if folks want to use that under the ice…

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

The size of that transducer is just ridiculous! The sale of 10″ auger bits should increase a bit if folks want to use that under the ice…

This is not accurate…….at all

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

This is not accurate…….at all

The 10″ bit is a joke, but you seriously don’t think the transducer is obnoxiously big?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

but you seriously don’t think the transducer is obnoxiously big?

No, but I guess I’m used to the size of side imaging transducers, 360 transducers etc. Have you held one in your hand?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m not sponsored by Humminbird and they haven’t been released yet, so of course I haven’t held one…How about posting a picture of it with a ruler?

Unless the guy from Russell marine has toddler hands, it looks huge…

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

You will not have any issues getting this to fit down an 8″ hole, whatsoever. We will be releasing content about the new mega live in the near future.

JoeMX1825
    MN

You will not have any issues getting this to fit down an 8″ hole, whatsoever. We will be releasing content about the new mega live in the near future.

I appreciate that info, the next logical question would be “how about a 6″ hole?”

That pole mount system looks pretty sweet, hopefully the other guys mimic it…

jon amundson

I know if fishing from a wheel house or staying up in one place during cold weather you will want 10″ for livescope. My last trip up to Winnipeg ice fishing pre covid a 10″ damn near froze too small in a full day. No way your getting by with a 6″ unless you move allot or like chipping your transducer out after half a day. I only use 10″ so no problem for me but even the wheelhouse closes up during extreme cold snaps over multiple days.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

That thing is a friggin’ discus!! shock I see where the got the “Mega” in Mega Live from. whistling

Gregg Gunter

Pat,
    Can it be used on any trolling motor or does it get in the way when stowed? I have a Terrova and want to attach it to that. Thanks

JoeMX1825
    MN

That thing is a friggin’ discus!! shock I see where the got the “Mega” in Mega Live from. whistling

I think it’s now clear how they got around the separate black processing box requirement now

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat,
    Can it be used on any trolling motor or does it get in the way when stowed? I have a Terrova and want to attach it to that. Thanks

I have not heard if it can be used on a Terrova or not. As of right now It mounts easily to a Ultrex or universal pole mount such as a brew city mount. It would not surprise me if other mounting options are going to become available, but I really have no idea.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

I think it’s now clear how they got around the separate black processing box requirement, pancake weld it and the transducer together…

Its a 5 1/2″ square……..

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thx for the sizing info

EW6

I saw a video where it looked like there was a sizable delay like I had with my Garmin PS22 panoptix transducer without the black box. Hope it’s not the case, but I know I found that very frustrating with the panoptix.

I look forward to an honest review.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Independent user reviews should be available everywhere a few days after its released to the public…

Netguy
    Minnetonka

A 5 1/2″ square has a diagonal of 7.8″. A men’s discus is 8.6″ in diameter. So I was close with my exaggeration. BTW, a women’s discus is 7.7″.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

A 5 1/2″ square has a diagonal of 7.8″. A men’s discus is 8.6″ in diameter. So I was close with my exaggeration. BTW, a women’s discus is 7.7″.

I always wondered how the size of these transducers compared to a frisbee. Thank you!

CaptainMusky

I always wondered how the size of these transducers compared to a frisbee. Thank you!

LOL while it is quite big, I am sure in time it will get much smaller. I thought size mattered?

Angler II

jester jester jester

Gregg Gunter

Thanks Pat. It doesn’t look like it could attach to a Terrova and allow enough room to stow it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Wham-O frisbees range from 3.75-11 inches from what I found.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wham-O frisbees range from 3.75-11 inches from what I found.

This is gold. rotflol

mann4ducks

You guys ought to look into the “Summit pole” system I use it on both of the livescope units we have for ice and now he makes a ball mount collar for his poles so I mounted a 1 1/2” ball in my Traxtec hand made a plate for under the ultrex head this allows you to move ducer manually not being connected to the shaft moving all over with the spot lock. Summit makes a good system for the price IMO

Gregg Gunter

Thanks for the info, guys. I’m sure that someone is going to come up with a good idea. This technology is only going to spread and get user friendly. I have some jury rigging in mind but I’m a crude engineer!

The Real Joe Blow

Its a bummer that they’ve been selling ice helixes in the 5 and 7 size and they are releasing mega live, which is presumably of great interest to ice anglers, in only 8’s and up. smirk Are they releasing an ICE 8?

Also – why do I feel like I’m looking at a UFO video?

Although they weren’t initially included in the G4 update for Helix units last fall, Helix 7’s are now being upgraded to G4/G4N, announced end of July and supposed to be with dealers in September. The G4N model will be MegaLive compatible.

https://www.humminbird.com/news/article/introducing-new-helix-5-7-series-new-technology-and-performance-upgrades

Cheers

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.