Medical alert Question.

• primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I’m 82, healthy, I thought until last Sunday. The pain hit me and I got on the floor but Couldn’t move. About an hour before my wife got home from church. The pain was horrific. Fortunately Fire dept., ambulance and hospital are fairly close to my home and a very capable surgeon inserted a stent in my heart. The next day I was released. I was very Fortunate for sure. Now I am considering some sort of alert system cause I go off on my own often. Can anyone out there give me any feed back on alert systems?

munchy
    NULL

I’d say a cell phone would be the most handy, and unless you are going deep into the backwoods where there is no cell service I’d say the most reliable as well. Can’t imagine a medical alert system would be any better unless there was one that ran off satellite for communication.

sji

Glad to hear it turned out well for you. I will be interested to hear any responses. Have been looking for something for my father age 88 who still farms. Cell is out of the question.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

why not talk to the police dept, or fire dept, or an ambulance service, or your doctor and ask there advice????????????

think that’s were i’d head if I was interested in something like that.

brussels4me

@primitive I’m glad you are better. There’s a system where you wear a device on your wrist that looks like a watch. This device enables an emergency service to hear you if you need help by way of a device that sits on a table or shelf. I got this for my mom. This was a life saver because she later fell in the next room away from the device on the table, but the emergency service heard her yelling for help even though she was in another room. I don’t remember if she had to push a button on the wrist device. They had to break down the door to get into the house. The system did interfere with the phone as I could not get through on the phone (landline) to call her. When I finally got through, they told me she had fallen. I don’t have the name of the device, but will look that up in my records and let you know. This was about 8 years ago so they might not still be around anyway, but there are probably similar systems. You can also test the system by talking from another room to see if they can hear you periodically.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

We got my grandmother the life alert system. It comes with a box for the counter with a big red button to push for help. It also has a small one on a necklace to where around your neck at all times ,even in the shower because it’s water proof. When you hit the button you are immediately answered by a real person and it’s verry loud. You do a test once a month to make sure it’s working. Very good system but I don’t know the price but I herd it was kinda expensive. Good luck and stay safe.

jwellsy

My wife ordered one of these off a TV infomercial. Don’t know what they called it on TV. The box it came with says SKY. It’s a pendant you were around your neck. The unit and charging base both say Prime One. They charge $40/month.

After about a year they started charging $40 twice a month for a couple months. Then they started charging $40 every week. They would not respond to any efforts to contact them. The only option we had was to go to the bank and have them cancel the debit card they were using.

Don’t know how prevalent these shenanigans are in this industry. Be sure and watch for the payments to get accelerated even if you don’t use it.

brussels4me

Re: medical alert question. The monitoring system I mentioned in my last post was from Guardian. They offered the wrist band you could wear everywhere and receiver that sat on a table. Guardianalarm.com, 800-782-9688, Corporate HQ, 18000 Eight Mile Rd., Southfield, MI ; guardianmedicalmonitoring.com 877-435-7225. This company was recommended to me by a specialty drug store that had not only a pharmacy but also medical equipment, but didn’t carry medical monitoring systems. So, if you have this type of drug store near you, you could ask them about monitoring equipment.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Glad you’re better Primitive!

My Mom bought a Guardian.
    St in the house for a few weeks. Then she took a few minutes to learn how to program the phone numbers in it. If I recall it held 3 or 4 phone numbers with your pre recorded message.

Auto dials one then moves on to the next if no one answers.
    1st friend or relative
    2nd friend or relative
    3rd 911 This was to save on false alerts I guess.

The very next day when she woke up she couldn’t move to get to a phone. Her second friend was home and came to her door when she pressed the Emergency Button. (she was given a key)

Friday, October 13 is when she found out that she had a brain tumor. Who knows how long she would have laid there had it not been for the alarm system.

She passed away comfortable on January 19th the following year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.