Meat rubs….

• Jimmy Jones

…anyone make their own recipe? These store bought jars are spendy and the ones I like best are, of course, the most expensive.

It’s been so dammed hot that I’ve been doing 90% of the cooking outside on the grill or in the smoker and I’ve been writing down the ingredients for two such commercial rubs and am going to try to get as close to them as possible. If/when I land on one that’s, not just good, but great, I’ll copy it to this thread. If any of you have a rub you’ve decided is a dandy and care to share the recipe, please feel free to post it here.

When this mountain has been climbed, I’ll go for a decent BBQ sauce. And regarding the BBQ sauce, do you put it on while cooking or do you serve it on the side so people can add what they want?

JEREMY
    BP

Usually right away in the morning before the kids wake up.

Coletrain27

there are alot of recipes on youtube and yes the store bought stuff does get expensive when you use them alot. usually the main ingredients on them is either sugar or salt for alot of them.

if you find a commercial made rub you really like check there website and see if it can be bought in bulk. i use to buy killer hogs rub in 5lb bags and it came out alot cheaper than buying the small bottles

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Usually right away in the morning before the kids wake up.

That actually made me lol!

I have been using Von Hansons Pork and Beef Rubs for roasts. For pork chops I recommend trying out the rub they use at Center Cut Meats in Rogers. They season there chops with it which are awesome by the way. You can buy it in bulk or in a shaker. It has a real smokey flavor to it.

ThunderLund78

A few of us who’ve spent time on some other forums might know Reinhard. He doesn’t do much posting anywhere anymore but has his own site – which also hasn’t been updated in quite some time (hope he’s still alive and well, maybe someone on here knows him?) – BUT his rub is my go-to – Rhino’s Rub, I think he calls it.

sausageheavenoutdoors.com

It’s just a basic blog site so a lot of scrolling but some GREAT recipes and cooking advice on there.

picklerick
    Central WI

About 90% of the time all I use is kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. I got into the store bought rubs for a few years and narrowed it down to a few that I keep on hand. Bovine Bold for briskets. Yardbird for pork and chicken. Both are from Plowboys. When I’m looking for a sweeter rib or pork butt I use Cimarron Doc’s. Been through several #7 cans over the years.

Here’s a good sauce recipe that I’ve tweaked just about every time I made it.

Rick’s Barbecue Sauce

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What are you BBQ’ing? For beef ribs/steak/brisket I’ve tried a bunch and like the basic salt, pepper, and garlic powder the best. For pork or chicken I’ll add in some brown sugar or other varieties of spices, but the basic works for them too.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I use Meathead’s Memphis Dust rub for pork butts alot.
    You can make a bunch and throw it in a glass jar and in the freezer.

Just google it (tried to attach a link but IDO didnt like it)

Jimmy Jones

What are you BBQ’ing?

Everything. I’ve been partial to Tone’s Canadian Steak and McCormick’s Brown Sugar Bourbon most recently. They’re very similar in the end result.

When I land on something I like I am all about reading the ingredient list, knowing that the list is based on what’s used the most of and in order to the least used ingredient so that sort of helps in trying to mimic it. Actually I enjoy the challenge in trying to make that which tripped my trigger in a purchased product.

And thanks for link Pickle!

Gitchi Gummi

About 90% of the time all I use is kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder.

I came here to say this… pretty hard to beat the old salt, pepper, garlic powder. Less is more when it comes to rubs in my opinion. Some of those fancy rubs try to do too much.

SPG FTW.

picklerick
    Central WI

For the record, I’m not cousin-in-law Rick in that link. My name isn’t even Rick, it’s Pat. You know, obviously, the 2nd half of my first name is rick, but no that’s not my recipe. ???

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

if you like your rub, add the following and make it better:

paprika
    cayenne
    thyme
    chili powder
    cumin
    ground mustard

10klakes

For smoking and grilling meats I mainly stick with the commercial rubs do to the easy of use. Scheels has a heck of a selection if wanting to try new stuff, Frattallone’s hardware does as well actually, at least the one near me.

Meat Church and Whiskey Bent BBQ are the two main brands I have right now, I have a few Recteq seasonings also that I got with my smoker. Meat Church Holy cow was one of my favorites for beef but Whiskey Bent The Rocks may have taken that spot (I like pepper forward). Voodoo is great on chicken, so is The Bird. A coarse SPG seasoning goes along ways, especially on pork IMO.

Cavender’s Greek Seasoning or Recteq’s greek seasoning’s are good. Bad Byron’s Butt Rub for pork Butt/Shoulder’s

Alagnak1

There are 3-4 brand name specialty rubs that I can’t copy cat as good as I’d like and still buy those. For 95% of the time for just plain ribs, pork butt, etc I make basic bulk rub to always have on hand for those common cooks and can always add whatever to it. Notice no salt- a lot of times cheap pork is packaged in a salt brine solution and don’t like the salt of most commercial rubs on pork. Other meats are a different story.

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup paprika (I use a mix of sweet and hot but any kind is fine)
    2 tbls coarse black pepper
    2 tbls chili powder
    2 tbls garlic powder
    2 tbls onion powder

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For BBQ sauce, I love Rufus Teague BBQ sauces. The Touch-o-heat is my favorite. After looking at the label, I realized it had more sugar than most sauces out there and is likely why it’s so good. I’d only put sauce on meat if it’s only going to be on there with relatively low heat for a relatively short amount of time. Sugar burns and turns bitter. That’s the last thing you want.

If you are smoking beef of any kind, I’d stick with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. I’ve recently switched over to Lowrys in place of salt on brisket and will probably always do it this way now. It just adds something that you can’t get with just salt.

If you’re looking for a BBQ rub, I always make my own using homemade chili powder. Honestly, don’t be too picky what ingredients are in the rub if you have a really good chili powder. Homemade chili powder brings the flavor of the rub to a whole new level.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I had a buddy that brought me Central BBQ Rib Rub in Memphis. They were on DDD. BUT shipping got to spendy. Made my own:

1 T Cumin (I prefer less)
    1 T Paprika
    1 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 T Chili powder
    1 T Brown Sugar
    2 T Kosher salt
    1 t Cayenne pepper (or prefer more and grind my own)
    1 t fresh ground Black pepper
    1 t White pepper

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A few of us who’ve spent time on some other forums might know Reinhard. He doesn’t do much posting anywhere anymore but has his own site – which also hasn’t been updated in quite some time (hope he’s still alive and well, maybe someone on here knows him?) – BUT his rub is my go-to – Rhino’s Rub, I think he calls it.

sausageheavenoutdoors.com

It’s just a basic blog site so a lot of scrolling but some GREAT recipes and cooking advice on there.

Reinhard was/is a wealth of info, I tried to get him to make the switch over to IDO from LSF but that didn’t last for whatever reason. Hopefully he is doing well! His website has a crazy amount of info, and he also always posted meat sale prices which I appreciated.

JEREMY
    BP

I always liked the meat sale ones.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m familiar with Reiny, he didn’t like you to disagree with some of his points of view, then take his ball and go home. But Yea he was a hellofa source of cooking info

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I hate to say it, but I love this!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3936-scaled.jpeg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I prefer the KISS MIF recipe.
    Keep it simple stupid, Make it fun.

For the big heavy cuts of beef like short ribs and brisket, SPG
    1 part Morton’s kosher salt
    2 parts course 16 mesh black pepper
    1/2 part coarse ground garlic
    There can be variations on this and add ons too.

Pork ribs and butts
    SPG ^^^
    add
    1/4 part paprika
    1/4 part onion powder
    1/8 part dark brown sugar
    There can be variations on this and add ons too.

All big cuts can accept heavy amounts of rub to the point that when applying that you can lose the sight of the meat. some call it opac.

Buckeye1

+1 on the Plowboys yardbird

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.