Meals that seem to only be made and eaten in Winter

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

While I was making a batch of chili last night I got to thinking about how I only seem to make chili in the winter months. This got me to thinking of a few other foods that I seem to only make in winter or at least far more often in winter. Other than Chili the other two that come to mind for me is Soups and Stews. Stew for sure. I can not recall the last time I or my wife made stew other than in winter. Maybe the reason for the stew is because this is most often make with Venison and I have to wait for late fall or early winter to have fresh Venison in my freezer, and I am usually out of it by spring. One other food I seem to eat more often in winter is Fish. This one is a little hard to understand as I would assume that most other here eat far more of it in summer months. The only reasons I can think of is that I tend to catch a large share of the walleyes I catch each year in the Fall. Often these end up in the freezer to be baked at a later date. I also tend to keep far more panfish in the winter months than I do in the summer months so that may be the reason why. Curious what other foods you all seem to only or mostly only eat in the winter months.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pheasant. I hunt them in Nov/Dec so I pretty much just eat them between December and February. I can’t just stock pile them for an 8 month supply because there is a possession limit.

I have an electric showtime rotisserie that I use for roasts, hams, and whole chickens. I only use it in the winter because of the heat it generates. Just used it a couple days ago on a sirloin tip roast in fact.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just used it a couple days ago on a sirloin tip roast in fact.

Ya now that I think about it, Roast is another one I don’t eat often other than in winter

glenn57
    cold spring mn

like gimruis stated…….most the food we here cook during the winter is due to the heat from the oven or long term cooking on the stove.

i do alot of soups during the winter to put in the freezer……but i’m not cooking it when its 90 and humid.

besides some of it is aweful tasty on a cold blustery day..like today!!!!!

and frankly i do alot of grilling in the summer……i do grill year round but not in nasty windy snowy weather!!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yep. That is the reason I was craving Chili all day yesterday and most likely will be going out for pho soup at lunch.

ThunderLund78

Pork Chops in Cream of Mushroom Soup over rice – one of my favorite meals but just isn’t as appealing in the summer.

On the flip side, my wife is pre-making a lot of salads for our lunches (trying to eat a little better). I like salads, but there’s pretty much NOTHING worse when it’s 10 below than a cold salad. Can’t beat it in the summer, though!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Chicken wild rice soup! Ok, my mouth is watering now 😃

B-man

Pork Chops in Cream of Mushroom Soup over rice – one of my favorite meals but just isn’t as appealing in the summer.

We just did this last night, one of my favorite winter meals!

The only difference is we throw a bunch of quartered yellow potatoes in the crockpot instead of serving over rice. And we do a 3:1 canned soup to milk instead of a 1:1 soup to water ratio (keeps it thicker)

I also love pork chops or country style ribs smothered in sauerkraut (done in the crockpot as well)…it’s awesome

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh yum roast. We just did a porketa with carrots and baby golds in the crock pot the other day. Absolutely delicious. And chili dogs after.

My favorite is jambalaya very spicy style over white rice with hot ground pork and 2 bags of mini shrimps.

Attachments:
    1. 16455521430835958140642503205137-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

like gimruis stated…….most the food we here cook during the winter is due to the heat from the oven or long term cooking on the stove.

Exactly Glenn. Anything that generates heat in my house for a long period of time during the warmer months just aint happening.

I don’t use my grill all winter. I’m sure some people do, I just don’t. When we get a warm 40 degree day then I’ll use it. But I do 90% of my grilling between April – November.

tswoboda

My favorite is jambalaya very spicy style over white rice with hot ground pork and 2 bags of mini shrimps.

Love Jambalaya. I too like is spicy, lots of hot peppers and a pound of shrimp and pound of andouille sausage per gallon. I make a big batch of Jambalaya and a big batch of Chili every winter that only get eaten on the lake. Yum.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1906.jpg

2. 20220116_133814.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Marie Callender’s chicken or beef pot pies. Yum!

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Winter is for wild game around here. I dont like storing birds and venison a super long time but a few make it into the next summer. I dont grill as much for obvious reasons but I do keep my grill in the garage and wheel it out occasionally. We tend to make soup and chili more in cold months but that’s not a hard fast rule.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Love Jambalaya. I too like is spicy, lots of hot peppers and a pound of shrimp and pound of andouille sausage per gallon. I make a big batch of Jambalaya and a big batch of Chili every winter that only get eaten on the lake. Yum.

Chili and Lakers on the ice – Doesn’t get much better than that !!!!

Deuces

Marie Callender’s chicken or beef pot pies. Yum!

-J.

I’m with ya on those, tasty lil boxes

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

I used to do big Italian hot sausage but I switched to ground hot sausage now and really like the out come. Both ways are delicious

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Exactly Glenn. Anything that generates heat in my house for a long period of time during the warmer months just aint happening.

Unless your my wife…

stevenoak

Besides soup and chili. Meatloaf and mash taters seems to get the call in winter. But we rarely use the stove in the summer.

catmando
    wis

Fried taters onion and backstrap. Just had It and I am full!

bclii
    MN/AZ

Oyster stew! But oysters are kinda seasonal!

mark Mason

Polska Kielbasa with onions, red potatoes and bell peppers for every trip to the skid shack.

CaptainMusky

Dang man that looks awesome while ice fishing!

James Almquist

Brown your chops and then put in Cream of Mushroom soup and onions and cover with tater tots. Bake for around an hour. Good stuff !!!

ThunderLund78

Brown your chops and then put in Cream of Mushroom soup and onions and cover with tater tots. Bake for around an hour. Good stuff !!!
    [/quote]

You just blew my mind! peace

haleysgold
    SE MN

Any good recipes for beef roasts?

Got a 1/4 beef last fall so have lots of them.

Made a lot of beef soup but that’s gettin old.

Roast, tators, carrots and onions are great but there must be something else to make with them to switch things up?

Alagnak1

If you have a smoker throw it on there a few hours then finish in a foil covered pan with beef broth and onions/peppers until if falls apart and shred to throw on a bun french dip or philly style. That is if you are all out of venison shoulder or neck roasts like I am because I think they’re even better.

Got a 1/4 beef last fall so have lots of them.

Made a lot of beef soup but that’s gettin old.

Roast, tators, carrots and onions are great but there must be something else to make with them to switch things up?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Beer Beef is by far one of our favorite ways to make a roast. Put a roast in the crock pot with a can of beer (doesn’t really matter what kind, I like a dark beer or full flavor over light), 2 beef bouillon cubes, cup of water and a packet of dry onion soup. Let it roast all day and then shred and serve on buns. Broth makes a good au jous. You can sear the roast first for a little deeper flavor.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.