Marcum Recon 5 + versus the Marcum VS485C

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Any thoughts on these 2 cameras? I realize the direction and temp benefits of the Recon 5 + but is the Sony camera on the VS485C a better choice? My issue is I fish in stained, dirty water rather than clear – so camera quality is upmost. Or, is the camera on the Recon up to the task?

Thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

VS485c Does not record (if that’s important to you)
    Larger unit (that’s a + or a – depending on how you look at it)
    Larger screen and sits in a fish house better for viewing at a distance.
    The camera head is heavy with the big black fin that really aids in the use on a flowing river.

Recon 5+ Records
    A very light camera head compared to the 485. Perfect for lakes and viewing down an ice hole. Needs extra weight added for using in a river with current.
    Small and compact. I would say perfect for running and gunning ice holes as it will easily fit in your cell phone pocket.
    Marcum claims it will run on 8 hours per charge. I’ll check that this weekend.

The field of view is different on both cameras. I don’t have the specs in front of me but you’ll see a wider field of view with the 485 over the Recon 5+

With any luck I’ll have some Recon 5+ video next week.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS the little I’ve used it, between the LED and IR light options I didn’t see any obvious issues with clarity in the camera on the river last weekend.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Thanks bud, will look forward to your report after the weekend! mrgreen

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just got rid of my VS485 because I hole hop mostly. Thought I would use it more but found that it was a pain to lug around (heavier than a sack of bricks) and when I was set up somewhere I didn’t want to take the time to set it up anyway. If you are mobile and have the money I’d go with the Recon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If you are mobile and have the money I’d go with the Recon.

Totally agree. The Recon 5+ fits in a small pocket very nicely.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I hear you on the hole hopping thing, but I tend to use a camera more when I am stationary or search mode -rely on sonar for the hole hopping. I had bad cameras in the past and, as BK can probably attest, the Sony CADDII camera on the Marcums is the bomb – so, really need something to live up to that. The mobility and size of the Recon sounds tempting, but it needs to live up to the hype, esp. in dirty, dingy water where even the Sony camera can struggle. I realize most will say “just get the larger marcum”, and that may be my case, but want to totally rule out the Recon before pulling that trigger. waytogo

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I just got rid of my VS485 because I hole hop mostly. Thought I would use it more but found that it was a pain to lug around (heavier than a sack of bricks) and when I was set up somewhere I didn’t want to take the time to set it up anyway. If you are mobile and have the money I’d go with the Recon.

I did the same with my vs625sd and went with the Recon 5+. I went with the plus because of the direction of camera and the depth of camera. If you use the case that comes with it it will not fit in a medium or small pocket but its 10 times more mobil than the bigger cameras. Im not so sure the camera is any better or worse than the bigger cameras but I have seen some real nice crappies just the other day in 30 feet of water. So far very happy with the switch.

JoeMX1825
    MN

as Brian has mentioned, the field of view is much more narrow on the Recon, from the limited recorded footage I’ve seen this is a big issue to me.

I’m waiting to here about a Pike engulfing the small camera when quickly dropped down a hole, that cable looks pretty thin…hopefully they get it recorded.

I’m hoping Marcum fixes the issues identified by early adopters into next years model, I think they have a winning form factor here…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Got to talk with a good friend today who used the Recon 5 + on the ice this AM. He currently is running the VS625. He stated hands down liking the new Recon BETTER than his VS. Our lake is very dirty right now and his opinion was he may be switching as well. He used the camera outside the shack, noting the picture was better than expected for being outside.

Tyler Warner

I am really on the fence with which camera to buy. I want a camera for next ice season but torn between the Recons or a vs485c.

gonehunting

Check out Cabelas price on the Marcum Recon 5 plus $344 and Vexilar FLX28 Pro Pack $512. Lowest prices I’ve seen.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Looks like Cabelas is sold out already on the 5+.

Is there anywhere that would price match that?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

wait until they fix the recon + before you buy it

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

What is the difference between the 5 and the 5 plus?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Check out Cabelas price on the Marcum Recon 5 plus $344 and Vexilar FLX28 Pro Pack $512. Lowest prices I’ve seen.

I know it’s off topic, but since this was mentioned I want to help others out…
    Reedssports has the FLX-28 Pro or Ultra for $499.99 at the moment. Cheap shipping and no tax for those of us not in MN. Someone may have caved and bought one even though he doesn’t need another flasher… whistling

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Jon, 5+ has temp, direction, depth. I ended up buying the 5+ for ice fishing and 485 for river use. Very happy with the 5+, but definitely not as “river friendly” due to size.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Jon, 5+ has temp, direction, depth. I ended up buying the 5+ for ice fishing and 485 for river use. Very happy with the 5+, but definitely not as “river friendly” due to size.

you have the same problem others have had, including me, where the depth reading doesn’t work?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

mine has been working fine, knock on wood.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My 5+ has been working well being bumped around on the bottom and rocks of the river.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I am really on the fence with which camera to buy. I want a camera for next ice season but torn between the Recons or a vs485c.

Have you decided yet?
    Now that it is getting closer to ice season I have also put myself in the market. Right now I’m leaning towards the VS485C, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Anyone have any other opinions or experiences with the 485??

watisituya
    North Metro

I bought the V485C last year. Only complaint that I have is that I didn’t upgrade, not having direction can be a PITA sometimes but my pocket wasn’t willing to take the hit. Since then I have seen multiple used 825’s at or below what I paid for my 485. Otherwise it has worked flawlessly. Also, be careful removing the plastic fin, it breaks pretty easily. On the plus side marcum replaced with 1 email, no questions asked.

JoeMX1825
    MN

buying a used VS825SD/LX9 is the best camera setup imo… there will likely be a few for sale soon, you’ll just pay more as the season is upcoming…

imo screen size is everything, what do you prefer when watching tv, the larger or smaller screen size? obviously the larger….

The heavier camera module will also result in a better more stable image on screen…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just to clarify, the big selling feature of the SD camera is the on-screen camera direction arrow that moves around the screen edge and is very accurate…this is much better and much different from the Recon5+ simply displaying (NW/SW/E/W, etc)

The odds of dropping/falling out of a pocket on the ice are MUCH higher with the Recon vs the larger/heavier cameras…

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

buying a used VS825SD/LX9 is the best camera setup imo… there will likely be a few for sale soon, you’ll just pay more as the season is upcoming…

imo screen size is everything, what do you prefer when watching tv, the larger or smaller screen size? obviously the larger….

The heavier camera module will also result in a better more stable image on screen…

I have pretty much ruled out the Recon for just the reasons you described. I don’t really need another flasher with the LX9 combo for the extra cost, I just want a good quality camera. Also I am leery of buying anything like this used unless from someone I know. Are they selling a problem or was it stolen?
    So what is the difference between the 825 and the 485? I know the 825 has 8″ screen while the 485 has 7″ screen. I’m leaning towards the 485 and getting the remote panning for the extra $50 bucks, total price of about $400.

JoeMX1825
    MN

SD series has the on screen camera compass, water temp, water depth, voltage, bigger battery, free camera panner, 4:3 aspect ratio, longer camera cord (debatable if this is better). I “think” the screen resolution might be a little better, but not positive..

I’ve owned all of the Marcum camera’s, the VS825SD is by far the best and worth the price uptick imo, but I would buy used over new…I’ve never purchased a new one, you can tell right away if what you’re buying was taken care of or not…if you must buy new, then the 485 will work just fine…

I purchased a like new VS825SD last spring for $200, so deals are out there, you just have to pounce on them fast as many other ice fisherman are watching for them too…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

the VS825SD is by far the best and worth the price uptick imo,

I love the Recon 5+ for hole hopping in lakes (the camera head is too light weight for the river without adding sinkers). Otherwise it’s hard to beat the workhorse VS825sd.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    the VS825SD is by far the best and worth the price uptick imo,

I love the Recon 5+ for hole hopping in lakes (the camera head is too light weight for the river without adding sinkers). Otherwise it’s hard to beat the workhorse VS825sd.

BK – i’m waiting for your eventual post of a big cat swallowing that Recon camera…can’t wait… )

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Bringing this back to life, looking to purchase one this week. They still holding up the 5 plus? Thanks

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.