Marcum lx5 power question

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Let a message for marcum, and waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, thought ild see if anyone else encountered this.

One of my lx 5s powered itself off and a couple seconds later back on by itself. Haven’t been able to wiggle power cords and make it duplicate the problem. So, wondering if it’s a power cord issue or internal. Anyone encounter this?

Bryan Myers

The only time I have had mine do that was when my spade connector pulled off the battery but that’s probably not what you have going on if you have already done a wiggle test.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The only time I have had mine do that was when my spade connector pulled off the battery but that’s probably not what you have going on if you have already done a wiggle test.

Connection to battery is solid. It happened 4 times over 2 days of fishing. Random

sheppy

Let a message for marcum, and waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, thought ild see if anyone else encountered this.

One of my lx 5s powered itself off and a couple seconds later back on by itself. Haven’t been able to wiggle power cords and make it duplicate the problem. So, wondering if it’s a power cord issue or internal. Anyone encounter this?

Mine did the same thing every outing. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new one and it still shut off on me. Sent it into marcum and they told me that I had a bad battery even thought I had just bought a new one. Ended up following marcums advice and replaced the newly already replaced battery and still the same thing. My marcum unit is now collecting dust in my basement because I bought a vexilar to replace it. I’d love to sell the unit and get some of my money back but I don’t think it would be right to pass on a headache to someone else. The way I look at it is that my hard earned money is out the door. If anyone needs an lx5s for parts, I have one for sale.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Did you tell Marcum the new battery didn’t do it?

sheppy

Did you tell Marcum the new battery didn’t do it?

I questioned marcum and told them it was brand new. The answer I got was “you must have bought a defective battery”. I didn’t agree with their response but couldn’t prove that the battery was good either.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

I would just buy another power cord off their website. It could just as simple as that and you would be back up and running. Sounds like a loose connection to me though or even a possibly short. Any damage to the power cord itself?

sheppy

I would just buy another power cord off their website. It could just as simple as that and you would be back up and running. Sounds like a loose connection to me though or even a possibly short. Any damage to the power cord itself?

That was my second though. Before I called marcum I whipped out my multimeter and did a continuity test on both wires from the battery terminal end to the plug end and that passed. When check continuity I also was flexing the cable thinking there might be a break under the insulation but my meter kept buzzing meaning there was continuity the whole time. I never tried a different ducer. Maybe I’ll try to find another ducer and give that a try. If it’s not that then there is positively something wrong in the unit.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Or the internal power cord, takes 5 mins to swap out. I’m thinking internal then if you had no issues with the external power cord with playing with it.

Internal Power Cable LX

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

My unit was getting old. I had the problem with unit turning on when it’s in the cold. I had to warm it up by the heater before it would turn on or I had to wiggle the power/depth knob and leverage it towards one side. Obviously can’t fish that way with one hand on unit and other on rod. Got it fixed by Marcum/Versa. The list of problems they said, was bad battery, bad transducer, bad motor/brushes.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Battery is below 12v and adding in the cold, think we solved it. Thanks Marcum CS! waytogo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.