Marcum LX-7LI For Shallow Water (

• Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Before I pull the trigger on one of these I want to make sure that Marcum got the bugs worked out of them for shallow water operation. I see alot of old threads (2015-18) here as well as on Ice Shanty regarding poor performance by the LX-7 in less than 10 fow but it sounded like new software updates last year were going to resolve that issue, did they? I have also read that in order to use these units effectively in shallow water situations you must be in dynamic manual mode, and not auto, for depth…can any current users confirm this? I’m an old Vexilar guy but want to try something new this year and the LX-7LI combo with the lithium shuttle looks like a winner unless shallow water performance issues still persist with it. Thanks!

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Here’s what I run without issues and have fished in 3 feet of water granted at that point you not really looking at much.

Range mode: manual
    Gain 1
    Sensitivity: usually 15-20
    Ping rate:4
    Target adjust: up to you on how big of a return you want to see.

I adjust in that order and really only thing I adjust after I get it dialed is my target adjust. I’ve had the older software and the work around was to just put it into “open water” mode which is now gain 1/2. Once I found that out, it was much easier.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have a lx7 and a helix 7. I always grab the helix first now.

Ripjiggen

If you are a vexilar guy stick with them or get a garmin or helix. Marcum would be 4th on my list.

bigpike

If you are a vexilar guy stick with them or get a garmin or helix. Sorry IDO.

IDO is not sponsored by Marcum. Even if they were no need to be sorry. Your opinion is just the same as anyone else.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Before I pull the trigger on one of these I want to make sure that Marcum got the bugs worked out of them for shallow water operation. I see alot of old threads (2015-18) here as well as on Ice Shanty regarding poor performance by the LX-7 in less than 10 fow but it sounded like new software updates last year were going to resolve that issue, did they? I have also read that in order to use these units effectively in shallow water situations you must be in dynamic manual mode, and not auto, for depth…can any current users confirm this? I’m an old Vexilar guy but want to try something new this year and the LX-7LI combo with the lithium shuttle looks like a winner unless shallow water performance issues still persist with it. Thanks!

I think the latest generation seems to have cleared that all up. They also came out with a new unit looks like a Helix type interface you might want to check out. Pretty cool honestly.
    Mx7 unit

https://marcumtech.com/product/mx-7gps/

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I personally think Marcum led the pack on units of this caliber. We would all be watching spinning dials with 1 1/2 separation if it wasn’t for them. I’ve had great units and customer service over the years. I will be using Marcum for years to come.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I always liked my marcum units. But my lx7 is terrible in shallow water. I will use my lx3 in 6 to 8 and under

hawghunter08

I have had several marcums over the years. Lx-5s, lx7,s with and without lithium shuttles. I have also owned multiple vexilars and they were and still are flawless for flashers. I have decided to take a break from marcum just for the fact they have got to be the most high maintenance units I’ve ever owned. Had to ship back and replace parts too many times. With that being said, the lx-7 with the shuttle is the best unit I have ever used without a doubt. Thinking about trying a helix 7 ice. Already have the unit just need to get an ice kit. Everyone seems to love them. Marcums new units look awesome but I’m guessing reliability will still be an issue. Vexilar also has a new unit coming out that will probably be the unit to have in the flasher world. In the end how do you go too wrong with any of them. They’re all awesome. Good luck choosing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.