Marcum LX-7

• outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Looking for some opinions on the Marcum LX-7 from folks that are using it. Pros and cons welcome. Thanks for the insight….

Spencer Haugen

I own one I love it people will say they hate the case it comes in because it’s tippy i normally grab it by the plastic handle by where the battery sits. I like the different styles go graph for deep water Lakers to zoom bars or flasher style for pan fish and eyes. Just take care of the unit and you’ll be good

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

I own one I love it people will say they hate the case it comes in because it’s tippy i normally grab it by the plastic handle by where the battery sits. I like the different styles go graph for deep water Lakers to zoom bars or flasher style for pan fish and eyes. Just take care of the unit and you’ll be good

I watched a video on it..seems pretty easy to use. Has that been your experience?

Spencer Haugen

Yup it has been real easy to use I had a six before the seven I like the bigger screen imo. The best thing you can do is play with it when your sitting at home put it in demo mode and play around with it. The settings for like IR and gain is easy just play with it when you get it

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Thanks Spencer. It’s a toss up between that and a Vexilar FLX-28 Pro Pack. Decisions, decisions, decisions…

Dylan Salow

I’ve enjoyed my LX-7 over the past few years. Paired it with the lithium shuttle a couple years ago and like it even more. The weight difference is very noticeable. One of my favorite things is being able to customize the layout weather I want a traditional flasher, vertical graph, or traditional graph. You can use more than one at once which is great especially when it comes to using zoom features. Didn’t think I would use some of the features but I definitely do. I really like the bigger screen too. I do wish for the price there would be some gps capabilities. That would be the only reason I would maybe go to a Helix unit in the future but other than that I would recommend the unit!

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Thanks Dylan. I decided to go with the Vexilar FLX-28. I had the Ice Helix 7 and didn’t like the complexity of it. I realize I want simple for ice fishing and Vexilar is simple. But the screens and features on the Helix and LX-7’s are awesome. I love the weight reduction a lithium battery offers these units. Can’t wait to get out with this new unit!

hawghunter08

If you wanted simplicity you got it. Probably the best mechanical flasher out there. You will not be disappointed. Congrats

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Thanks hawghunter. I’ve been messing with it at home and I really like it. The features it offers are perfect and very easy to navigate. And this one came with a manual!

Dylan Salow

Congrats on your purchase! Sometimes simpler is better. Had a FL-20 before I got my LX-7. It was a great unit, easy to use, never had an issue with it. I’m sure you will enjoy it!

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

I have an FL-18 that is now a back up. It is about 10 yrs old(maybe older) and has been and still is awesome! It was time for an upgrade and my son is now old enough to use and understand how a flasher works. I should’ve just went with my gut and got this unit to begin with. Oh well I have it now and didn’t lose any fishing time trying out the Helix besides a little setting adjustment time. I’m sure the guy that got it will be as happy as I am! Time to make some memories!

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Not the greatest day of catching fish but we got out, the new flasher worked flawlessly and we had a great time sight fishing down our holes watching the fish take our baits! My son had an awesome time and asked to come back to the lake we were on to sight fish again! The magic of fishing and the memories it makes! And I missed a good sized largemouth or northern…D*&%IT! But so cool to watch it all happen!

dbv2

When you guys are using these, do they pick up bluegills and perch that hug the bottom and can you see them come up and get your bait?

I used my new LX6 Lithium over the weekend (first time using a fish finder) and we caught a lot of bluegill, but did not see them on the screen. I played around with a lot of the setting, but guess never dialed them in correctly.

Seems like a great unit, long battery life and loved using the light at night. Just need to get a hang of seeing my jig all the time and the fish. Fished in 9 foot of water. Thanks!

B-man

When you guys are using these, do they pick up bluegills and perch that hug the bottom and can you see them come up and get your bait?

I used my new LX6 Lithium over the weekend (first time using a fish finder) and we caught a lot of bluegill, but did not see them on the screen. I played around with a lot of the setting, but guess never dialed them in correctly.

Seems like a great unit, long battery life and loved using the light at night. Just need to get a hang of seeing my jig all the time and the fish. Fished in 9 foot of water. Thanks!

Make sure your transducer is below the ice.

Then increase your sensitivity/gain until you can make out your jig.

tucrs
    NW Metro

What Gain were you on?
    For shallower water I use it like this
    Gain 1, Range 10′ Manual, ping speed 1-2,
    It should work fine then. Make sure your ducer is below the ice.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

dbv2

I was on Gain 2. I used manual dynamic and ping speed 1. I have sensitivity set to 15.

Can you see bluegills and perch and always see your jig on bottom?

Thanks for the help.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dbv2 wrote:</div>

What Gain were you on?
    For shallower water I use it like this
    Gain 1, Range 10′ Manual, ping speed 1-2,
    It should work fine then. Make sure your ducer is below the ice.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Don’t use dynamic.
    Just use manual that will help a ton.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I can see my jig and fish too. No issue there.

dbv2

Thanks – hopefully get to go ice fishing again this year and try it. What sensitivity do you use? I was at 15.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Usually at 7-10 depends on the jig.
    I do adjust me target too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.