Marcu LX 7 Questions

• candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

Those of you using the Marcum LX 7 have any problems or concerns when hole hopping? I have read that some of you have modified the carrying strap because it is tippy? I run a Humminbird Ice 55 now and it is light and easy to get around. I also fish LOTW a few times a year and wonder if it will interfere with Vexilars or Humminbirds in the same fish house?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have the LX6, and yes I do make sure I pay attention when hole hopping because the unit can tip out of the case.
    Haven’t had any interference problem fishing beside a vex.

Josh Bothum

I’ve owned a Lx-7 for going on my 4th season now… No issues. You will most likely find people replying stating otherwise.

You can’t please all the people all the time. You can tote it around just like any other flasher. Per the spec sheet it my not be the exact lightest (ounces), but for the technology you get, I think it’s worth the tradeoff.

Thanks

Josh

shady5

Mine seems to be a little too bulky/heavy for a full day of hole hopping (though I could probably use the exercise…). I usually grab my lx5 if it’s going to be a mobile day.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

When we are in the fish house at LOTW my HB Ice 55 did not interfere with the Vexilars but my friend bought an Ice 55 and we had interference. One of us had to change our cone angle to minimize interference. I assume the Marcum uses a different frequency than either the 55 or vexilar?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Seeing as both units weigh 13lbs. no issues there…..
    As far a the case…..I’ve heard of people using a Genz Pack soft case that works also….

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

Thanks I will look into that.

jarrod holbrook

I have an ice35 and a lx7. Don’t sell the bird until you try the 7. I love the lx7, but it has been back to the factory 3 times. They made it right every time and were rock solid for customer service. That said the humminbird kept me on the ice while the lx7 was down. The lx7 is amazing, but there are times when simple was better

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

I plan on keeping the ice 55 in case the Marcum interferes too much with my friends ice 55. It is always nice to have a back up in case of emergencies

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

I’ve owned a Lx-7 for going on my 4th season now… No issues. You will most likely find people replying stating otherwise.

You can’t please all the people all the time. You can tote it around just like any other flasher. Per the spec sheet it my not be the exact lightest (ounces), but for the technology you get, I think it’s worth the tradeoff.

Thanks

Josh

x-2

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Get a lithium battery and it will be much lighter.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

In my opinion the lx-6 is a better hole hopping unit but I’m still not ready to give up the screen size of the 7. I run a lithium battery in my 7 and hole hop all day without much fatigue. I can’t say I’ve ever fished in the same house with a humminbird user but I can always find a IR setting that works with other units.

Kevin Roskam

Mine fell out of the bag one too many times…

Attachments:
    1. image-21.jpeg

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

So the decision I have to make is get a lx6 or lx7 and possibly get a lithium battery also. If I get a lithium battery I will also need a new charger as well. Correct? According to the specs the only difference between the 2 units I can see is screen size, 1/4 inch target separation, a little more weight, and about $100 in cost. I am leaning towards the lx7 and a lithium battery. Thanks for all the replies.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I don’t where you got the separation specs but the 7 is 1/2″ and the 6 is 3/4″ toast

gonehunting

My Vexilar FLX-28 Pro Pack is an excellent hole hopping unit. Come on, only took 16 posts to find a Vexilar fan.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

I meant 1/4 inch target separation difference between the 2 units. I did not word it correctly when I typed it. Sorry for the confusion. I also had 4 different Vexilar units and they both worked flawlessly. I have owned 6 different units and all did the job.

tim hurley

If you buy used stuff online like me and hole hop make sure you get a unit with a nice bright screen-one person had to send a new unit back a few times-nice when they fix it for ‘free’ but you pay postage and you will probably spend 30 bucks on insurance if you feel funny about putting a 500 dollar unit into a box and hoping for the best.

marvins
    Kansas

I had enough of the factory case also and changed a few things. Added a rigid carry handle, extra long transducer arm and a push pull main power switch that you can see mounted to the main bracket. It’s real nice to move around and carry now.

Attachments:
    1. HPIM1905.jpg

2. HPIM1901.jpg

3. HPIM1906.jpg

4. HPIM1903.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Factory case works perfectly fine AFTER you have a few zelcro straps sewn in that secure the base to the case. $10 at a sewing store and works like a charm!

Attachments:
    1. Marcum-LX9-Velcro.jpg

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

Thanks Joe, as soon as my Marcum comes in I am going to Velcro the base to the bag. Good and simple suggestion.

marvins
    Kansas

Mine had the Velcro and the extra seat belt strap with pvc pipe handle added and it still sucked.

Josh Bothum

I had enough of the factory case also and changed a few things. Added a rigid carry handle, extra long transducer arm and a push pull main power switch that you can see mounted to the main bracket. It’s real nice to move around and carry now.

Wicked mods.. Nice work!

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

The key to carrying the LX7 is to make sure your hand slides into the back of the case where the handle is located. If you carry by the strap with the face open, it can feel tippy. Others have utilized velcro, or snaps on the bottom of the case to prevent tipping when carrying with a strap, but for the most part – sliding your fingers into the handle sock works without issue.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

That’s the way I carry my HB ice 55. Your hand slides into the handle which is under the soft sided cover. I think I will still Velcro the bottom just in case. Thanks everyone for your replies and comments. Very helpful.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.