Lx7 to Lx9 upgrade using Marcum vs485c Camera

• Michael Boyack

Random question came up today. I have a Marcum Lx7 and a Marcum vs485C Camera. I know a person can upgrade the Lx7 to Lx9 by paying roughly $500. My question is this: Can a guy utilize a current Marcum camera and just update the software off the LX7 and utilize the camera from my vs485C? Anybody have any input/knowledge? I will send an email to Marcum as well but thought this may be a quicker knowledge base. Thanks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nope, complete circuit board change is needed before a reflash of new firmware. It might not seem like it’s worth the $500 upgrade, but the DVR, added camera features like Direction are really nice to have, that and you combined carrying two items down to one.

I love my LX-9, i’m just pissed off Marcum isn’t updating the software like they promised they would. It could be worse, I could be a RT-9 owner…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Exactly like Joe said.

Joe, I have an Lx-9 and happy with it the way it is. Just wondering…if Marcum wouldn’t have said anything about an upgrade, would you be satisfied with yours?

Or maybe I should ask this way. What would you like to see updated?

Michael Boyack

I realize it isn’t as easy as just plugging in the camera to the lx7. I guess I am wondering if I can utilize some of the hardware from mg camera to save a couple bucks. I will call Marcum today and see what they say.

Thanks for the reviews on the lx9. Good to hear it is worth the cost.

Robert Duncan

My Lx-9 has some issues in shallow water 3-10 ft with flickering and my buddies LX-7 with the latest firmware doesn’t seem to have the same problem. I purchased my LX-9 last Febuary. Wished I would have purchased a LX-6 instead. I would not recommend the LX-7 to LX-9 upgrade to anyone

JoeMX1825
    MN

Exactly like Joe said.

Joe, I have an Lx-9 and happy with it the way it is. Just wondering…if Marcum wouldn’t have said anything about an upgrade, would you be satisfied with yours?

Or maybe I should ask this way. What would you like to see updated?

off the top of my head:
    1) The ability to turn the transducer off when just using the camera
    2) optimize the overlay view for best screen space usage, right now it’s pretty worthless with the flasher dial setting and you’re pretty much forced to use the showdown view.
    3) LED light level settings, right now it’s only on/off
    4) basic GUI cleanup/optimization, some of the settings (like LED lights) are buried in menu options too many levels deep
    5) Add additional shortcut keys, they did this with the auto-record feature so you know it’s doable
    6) Optimize the Video Recording/Playback menu screen, mine has locked up the unit several times trying to navigate/play/delete recorded videos (Yes i’m using a class 10+ SD card)

i’ve posted other change requests in other posts, the LX-9 is a good unit, but it could be so much better with just a few tweaks/updates. Marcum uses the “Future Software Updates/Feature enhancement” ability as one of their major selling points, I just wish they would keep their promise…The last LX-9 update was 4+ years ago, that’s unacceptable for a $1,300 unit….

JoeMX1825
    MN

My Lx-9 has some issues in shallow water 3-10 ft with flickering and my buddies LX-7 with the latest firmware doesn’t seem to have the same problem. I purchased my LX-9 last Febuary. Wished I would have purchased a LX-6 instead. I would not recommend the LX-7 to LX-9 upgrade to anyone

The shallow water fix is supposed to be included in the next software release, but who knows if that will EVER happen. The reason you would buy/upgrade to the LX-9 are the DVR feature and the ability to consolidate 2 items down to 1 so you’re carrying less on the ice, if those two things are important to you, then the LX-9 is a game changer, if not, then yes, buying a LX-6/7 and then just using a separate camera is the option…

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I realize it isn’t as easy as just plugging in the camera to the lx7. I guess I am wondering if I can utilize some of the hardware from mg camera to save a couple bucks. I will call Marcum today and see what they say.

Thanks for the reviews on the lx9. Good to hear it is worth the cost.

Your best bet to offset cost if you are looking to update would be to sell the camera after you upgrade.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.