Kicker motor advice

• irishman

I bought a 2000 Lund 1800 Fisherman. My first real fishing boat. It has a kicker motor and a bow mounted trolling motor. I am looking for advice on how and when some of you expert fisherman have been using these kicker motors. The boat does not have splash guards. So I am assuming the previous owner was not back trolling with that kicker in a 18 footer. Is that a fair assumption? Are any of you every using the kicker and the bow mounted trolling motor at the same time? The trolling motor is a first Generation Minnkota Terrova, it has auto pilot, so I can give it a heading. Is it crazy to think that I might be in some situations in which the trolling motor might not have the power I need (wind, waves, current) and I run the kicker for power and the trolling motor for hands free heading control?

kroger3
    blaine mn

I run my kicker all the time and use my terrova with ipilot to steer. Works great for pulling cranks. Set the bow mount at 30%-40%. Take a look at the trollmaster electronic throttle for your kicker it helps you really fine tune your speed.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

X2, same here. On good runs I’ll put the track into the I-pilot and then I don’t even need to steer.

joeshow

Irishman, I didn’t know. It’s like Christmas every day. I didn’t even hear you “pop” when you bought that Terrova… iLink I assume?!?!? That kicker, the iLink and that 1198 on that 1800, now that’s a beautiful family. You are going to have a lot of fun on the big lake when you go after those enormous Lakers! What a difference a year makes!!!!!

irishman

Kroger3 & Onestout – I was looking up the Trollmaster on-line and came across a similar product called the iTroll. Have you heard of it?

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

Kroger3 & Onestout – I was looking up the Trollmaster on-line and came across a similar product called the iTroll. Have you heard of it?

I just looked it up and need to read more about it but have not herd of them. Trollmaster is tried and true… I run the trollmaster pro2 and can not think of anything extra that I would need it to do

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.