Repower a 1750 Tyee

• dmengel

I have a 2009 Lund 1750 Tyee with the 115 mercury 4 stroke that you see on most of these. It is not bad once on plane but if you get a load in it in rough water it just has a hard time taking off. I am thinking about trading the 115 in on a new Mercury 150 four stroke. Has anyone else done it or do you guys think I would be better off trading the whole rig on something diffrent? Thanks for any info that you can share.

castle-rock-clown

have you experimented with props? I would try that first, alot less expensive than either a motor or boat.

dmengel

I have tried a few diffrent props & it has gotten better but not great. The boat is rated for 150 & I think it needs the power to get it out of the water. If anyone has found a prop that will make it work better I would try that.
    Dan

JohnWF
    La Crosse, WI

My 17′ Fisherman had the Merc 115. It was really a nice motor, but lacking a bit when the boat was fully loaded. This winter I traded the 115 for the 150 Merc Four Stroke. Have not been on the water yet, so no reports for the new setup.

Over the last 8 years I’ve tried a bunch of different props on the 115-3 blade, 4 blade, alum, steel. Burned a lot of Canadian fuel last few years so my focus was mid-range cruising and fuel economy. I was pretty happy with the 18P Quicksilver Silverado 3 blade stainless steel prop. The Silverado did not provide quite as good economy as the cheaper 19P Solas 4 blade aluminum prop, but it held the water lots better in turns and the hole shot was acceptable for this old man.

The 115 is gone but the props are still in the garage. Propping is so much fun!

dmengel

You were running a 18 pitch on that boat? What kind of speeds could you get out of it? I am down to a 15 pitch & could still go lower according to my tach.
    Dan

JohnWF
    La Crosse, WI

With the 18P steel it would tach 5700RPM and do about 41 MPH with two people in the boat in November. Under warm water conditions it was down 100-150 RPM and a few MPH slower on the speed. Very rarely ran it wide open.

With the steel last summer 4200 RPM would generate about 27 MPH and a touch under 6 MPG. The 19P 4 blade Solas Aluminum at 4100 RPM would reach close to 29 MPH and get a bit over 6 MPG. It took longer to get going with the Solas and required more attention to the trim. Tried a 19P Solas 4 Blade Stainless Steel prop. Great cruising- 4000 RPM and over 30 MPH will nearly 6.5 MPG. However it would only turn 5000 max RPM and you needed a calander to time it out of the hole even with a light load. Definately too much prop for the boat/motor combination. All this stuff is from memory, but it should still be fairly accurate.

The motor was a 2002 model. Speed was taken from a Lowrance HDS-10. A Lowrance Fuel Flow Sensor provided the mileage.

KRec

I believe the max RPM for your 2009 Merc 115 4-stroke is quite a bit higher than the R’s you are running, and i suggest you confirm your RPM spec’s. A lot of guys, myself included, aren’t used to spinning our outboards in the 6000 range, which is where many 4-strokes run. I ran a 15 pitch stainless steel 3 blade on a 1775 Pro V with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. It ran 6250 RPM with a medium load, which happened to be my motor’s approximate max RPM, and around 41.5 MPH. I had great dead in the water to on plane performance, which was something I wanted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.