mercury hydraulic steering vs power steering

• Chris H

I am looking hard at a Pro Guide 1825 with the 90hp Mercury on the back.

This will be my first tiller, I have only owned wheel boats in the past. My question is what steering assist option should I go with? Is the power steering with the money or is the hydraulic system fine? Any of you guys running this setup with out either?

I would love to hear your feedback, thanks!

Palerider77

I have an 1825 with the mercury 4 stk and the big tiller power steering. There is only one way to get a merc with power steering from the factory. Merc bought the Mertens design and they are the sole provider of power tiller steering. It works great. I have been in all sorts of big waves with it and it works perfectly. The tiller locks in place when you are not giving it input and that is a great safety feature. You can steer with 2 fingers in four foot waves. I think that it would be foolish not to rig a new tiller boat without the power tiller. It is a couple bucks on the front end, but is well worth the money IMHO. The 1825 pro guide is a great boat.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Cnris,

I’ve heard that there will be a new steering “assist” option for Mercury mid-sized tiller outboards previewed at the Madison WI Fishing Expo show in late February.

It might be worth holding off a bit.

HRG

Chris H

Palerider77 – Thanks for your input! I was leaning towards the power steering option, but your input has convinced me.

Hot Runr Guy – Thanks for the heads up, Only problem is the Lund rebates go down Feb 1st….

Palerider77

You will not regret the power steering! It even works well in the winter.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Cnris,
    I’ve heard that there will be a new steering “assist” option for Mercury mid-sized tiller outboards previewed at the Madison WI Fishing Expo show in late February.
    It might be worth holding off a bit.

HRG

Chris,
    Not sure if you bought yet, but here’s a peak of the new Big Tiller-Titan Edition system, on a 90 4S, that will be shown this weekend at the Madison Fish Expo.

Chris H

I did end up ordering it already for a few reasons, Lund factory rebates dropped down after Jan. Lund also under quoted there dealers for the factory installed hydraulic steering by 900 bucks and would only honor the quote until the end of jan…

Thanks for the heads up!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.