Plated power vs what I want

• big_jon

Is it legal to go over the coast guard plate on hp rating.

I have a Pro-V 1775, tiller. Plated for 80 hp

Currently I have a 75 Yamaha 4s. Considering upgrading new with a fuel injected, and new fancier tiller handle.

I have been told that the Yamaha 75 and 90 are identical, except a couple of wires and a different computer chip….identical in size and weight.

I am comfortable with the oversize, as the console model of the same boat is rated for a 150.

Am I legal to put a 90 on ? What are possible consequences of going with the 90 ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Is it legal to go over the coast guard plate on hp rating.

You get three guesses and the first two don’t count.

I don’t know what the fine is…but you’ll either be buying a new boat or motor…IF they would ever find out.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

If you have an insurance issue the insurance is void I believe,where’s Justin?for an answer.
    Stan

I don’t know what the legal repercussions would be, but I can tell you that exceeding the maximum HP for what your boat is rated for basically makes your boat uninsurable.

kroger3
    blaine mn

I have been checked by the coast guard and they ran the serial numbers on the boat to check for the hull rating and then ran the serial numbers on the motor to make sure stickers have not been swapped and if its over the rating then its a tow back to shore and not sure where they go from there…

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

The boat also becomes voided of warranty, if caught with an oversized motor. Another thing is the dealers will not hang a motor on the transom if it is above the ratings. I would not advise it. Best to upgrade the whole boat in my opinion.I worked on a boat that a guy hung his own motor, which was too big for the boat, shorted his wiring harness out on the boat. Needless to say the harness was not warranteed.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Justin, I understand not getting full coverage. However can you not get liability either?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.