In floor rod storage

• cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

How many of you guys have in floor rod storage on your boats. I have been noticing my rods and reels having mold on them from moisture. I was wondering what a guy can do to absorb the mositure that is in the storage compartment.
    I keep the door closed but moisture must be coming up thru the floor. I have a Lund 1750 Tyee 2012. (I just take a towel and wipe of the rods and reels, but its getting old doing this every weekend I’m in the boat) My boat sits in a marina covered. Any thoughts.

Chad

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I open all compartments when I get home and have never had a problem but you are in a public/private marina and I am sure that is not possible. You may have to let the whole boat set out in the Sun every now and then with all the compartments open for a good dry down. How is all your other gear that is stowed? I would think if your rods are having problems then all compartments and gear would be having problems?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Do you have power at your slip? A small fan can do wonders.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Aluminum boats sweat like a pop can in the water. The only way to solve this is to put a fan in there or open them up.

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I agree, you need to somehow exchange the air in the close up compartments. A small fan should do the trick. I know they make small desicant (sp?) bags that you can put in places like this, but that’s a temporary fix.

Donnie

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i havea 03 2025 prov, and DO NOT like the in floor rod storage. i have experienced the same mold problem that you speak of. i have also had line breakage from the tubes working loose and rubbing on the line. for some unknown reason, the buying public must like it because it has been around for awhile now. i would rather have dry storage up front and have the rod storage in the gunwals. as far as a cure, as stated above, move the air around while the boat in not in use.

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

I will have to try the 12 volt fan or just leave my compartments open when I leave. Thanks for all the input.
    I was also thinking about the rod protection sleeves if that would work or not.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

How many of you guys have in floor rod storage on your boats. I have been noticing my rods and reels having mold on them from moisture. I was wondering what a guy can do to absorb the mositure that is in the storage compartment.
    I keep the door closed but moisture must be coming up thru the floor. I have a Lund 1750 Tyee 2012. (I just take a towel and wipe of the rods and reels, but its getting old doing this every weekend I’m in the boat) My boat sits in a marina covered. Any thoughts.

Chad

Perhaps a dehumidifier rod might not be a bad idea if you have access to electric power. They’re cheap to buy, cheap to run, safe and wouldn’t take up much room.

http://www.deansafe.com/dri-dr-12.html

rjmoore_33
    Eagan, Mn

i have an Alumacraft 165 Magnum and have a similar issue. i have no true dry storage in my boaut so if i am out in the rain and the boat get wet or i leave it at the dock over night every thing gets wet. What i do is buy the DAMP RID moister control . i have a container of it in all my storgae area. i also put a nylon over it in case it tips over. workds well for me

Palerider77

I usually leave all the doors open when mine is not in use. Boat stays in the garage, so security is not an issue.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.