Fisherman to Explorer

• dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I have a 2002 Lund 1700 Fisherman and am thinking about upgrading to a 20 foot Lund Explorer. Has anyone else done something like this? I now have a bigger garage and can store this beast, but am I going to miss anything about my Fisherman?

Thanks.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

One thing you will miss at first is how easy it was to control your 17′ boat.
    There is a big learning curve when it comes to boat control in the 20 footer vs the 17′ boat.
    You will also miss the ability to run thru somewhat shallow water as there will be places you probably could take the old boat that you won’t be able to take the new one.

But you will also “not” miss your smaller boat the first time your out fishing in 3-4′ waves. You won’t miss the ride in your old boat thru those waves either!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Sure, everytime you jump up in size, you lose convenience. I’ve got a 23′, an 18 and a 14. Each different and used for different trips. Different water, different boat.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

my last boat was a 1700 Explorer, very nicely layed out and was a single console, but an additional left side could be added whenever I wanted.
    Think you’ll like the bigger boat and the Explorer line.
    Jack

walleyebill1
    Nebraska

I went from an 1800 fisherman to a 2025 pro v. The one thing I do miss a lot is the rear jump seats. They can be purchased as an add on on the explorer line. Wish I had them on the pro v. Actually considering going from a pro v to an explorer myself, just for the rod storage and jump seats

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

You know…
    I used a guide service last week and he had 2 Explorers which he traded in 2 ProVs for. He said the difference is staggering for a guide service as far as the flexibility goes. And the hull is nearly identical.

ozarkeyes
    Arkansas

You better find one on someones lot now, because the word is Lund has discontinued the Explorer line for 2013 model year.
    Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.