Lund for Big Water

• Terry Reed

We are looking to purchase a Lund that would work well on the St. Lawrence River and the bays of Lake Ontario, yet could be used for a couple of bass tournaments during the year. Need to seat a minimum of 6 people when we have friends/family along so we are looking at the Lund 1875 Impact XS w/ Mercury 150 Pro XS. Will this boat serve our needs? A couple of other questions –

1. Trolling motor – looking at MinnKota I-Pilot 80 lbs thrust – is this strong enough?
    2. I know the rod storage layout – what about if you want to keep the rods on deck during a tournament – any options for keeping them secure when outside the rod locker?
    3. Other options under consideration – air ride seats, Bimini top, hydraulic steering, cargo nets – anything else recommended here?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That will be tight for 6 people, you would also need the jump seats (is that an option?) plus 4 seats in the cockpit, or people sitting in the bow. 80 lbs TM should work fine, but if you use it a lot might be better going up another level. Bimini top is a must imo, it’s great for terrible weather, both hot and cold. Hydraulic steering also a must imo, cargo nets and air ride seats would be nice but not necessary. If money isn’t a huge factor I’d go to a 1875/1975 Pro-V with max hp with the fold down jump seats, gives you more room for when you have company and a big casting platform when fishing tourneys. Tyee’s and Crossover’s might be better for big water with higher sides, but not as ideal for a bass tourney.

Terry Reed

Thank you for your reply. I did not mention the jump seats but yes, we are including them as an option as well along with the bow cushions when we’re just cruising. Also, I have a bass boat right now that I’m planning to sell to get the Lund due to our situation changing – less tournaments, nearing retirement, taking other folks along, etc. on my bass boat, I upgraded to a 31 cranking battery As the 27 was dying on the water with all the electronics. Is a 27 plenty for the Lund considering running the electronics off the cranking battery – fish finders, live wells, etc? You also mentioned that I may want to consider going up a level on the trolling motor – I have a 36v set up on my bass boat now – is this possible on the Impact XS?

Benny

That boat should meet your needs just fine. I assume when you want to put 6 people in the boat you’re just burning gas and cruising?? If so that set up will work well. I don’t think there are many boats that would fish 6 comfortably unless you’re throwing a bunch of slip bobbers. Even then that would be tight.

I wouldn’t say the Impact is the best big water boat Lund makes, but most days it should be fine. It’s a fairly light compared to the Pro V and Tyee. Like Big Werm said, the Pro V would be a better choice, but if you pick your days and drive smart, the Impact will be fine.

Get all Group 31 batteries for sure. Are you planning on a kicker?? I found on my old Pro V, the 80 lb would be fine, especially if I dropped the kicker down and just put it in gear. Usually the wind would kick up waves big enough to pop out the trolling motor before the trolling motor was overworked. The kicker really helps with this. You mentioned the St. Lawrence, that river has a ton of current, so a 36 V would really help if you had room for the 3rd battery.

Terry Reed

Yes – 6 people would be for cruising not fishing – I wouldn’t have the patience for that!

I am aware of the Pro-V and aside from cost, it has lower sides which is a concern – more like a bass boat whereas the Impact XS sides are somewhere in between the Pro-V and Tyee. When it’s rough with white caps, I don’t go out unless the weather changes during a tournament and I would fish maybe 5 tournaments a year.

I do not want a kicker – I’m pretty much a smallmouth/pike guy and do not plan to troll. Do you know if the Impact XS allows for a 36v trolling motor battery set up? I’m hearing that 70 lbs thrust should be okay as the boat is not real heavy.

Thanks for the reply!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I wouldn’t go less than 80 lbs on the TM. I had a 1775 Pro-V with a 80 lbs 24v TM, and there were times that wasn’t enough power or battery power, usually a full day trolling or on the river.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Go with a 112….we have run an 80# dead on heavy wind days in my buddies Skeeter 1910. Heavier than your boat but if you are on the TM all day like most bass guys are a 70 or 80 won’t cut it.

I run an 1850 Reata and have a 112….glad I did. Other things I wish I had:

1) air ride seats
    2) bimini that has a front curtain connecting to the windshield
    3) a wash down system

Go as big as you can on the batteries which sounds like you are doing. I’d go AGM all the way.

Is a 150 the highest HP? I’d go as big as possible considering you are on big water.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

For river fishing I think you would be much happier with a 36v trolling motor. I wouldn’t even consider something less than 80lb.

Terry Reed

Yes – 150hp is ma. For an 1875 Impact XS. I love a 36v trolling motor set up but I don’t know if Lund has room for the extra battery as well as a 31 crank.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yes – 150hp is ma. For an 1875 Impact XS. I love a 36v trolling motor set up but I don’t know if Lund has room for the extra battery as well as a 31 crank.

Just doing a quick search it seems like you can get 4 batteries – 3 for the TM and your cranking/electronics battery. This is from Walleye Central for a 1775.

If you have the jump seats there might be an option for a big cranking battery under there, too.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-667713.html

Benny

Just like Matt’s suggestion, I fit my third battery under one of the jumpseats next to the cranking battery. Both are 31s. This is on a Tyee but maybe it will work on the impact too.

Attachments:
    1. F68CA870-B8D5-47AD-A790-CD68057FDD32-scaled.jpeg

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

You CAN get a 36 volt. I pick my new one up tomorrow. This will be my second Impact, let me know if you have any questions.

Terry Reed

Thank you for your feedback – much appreciated.

Terry Reed

I’m interested to know how you store your fishing tackle? Do you use the console drawers or some other means?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

New one came home today. 112 Ulterra, Helix 10 MSI G4, sport top. Many new improvements over my 2014 1875. Can’t wait to break her in.

I’ll be using the drawers for tackle storage for sure, didn’t have em on my old one.

Attachments:
    1. 8B07695E-B241-4AAD-A678-7EB152BA561C-scaled.jpeg

2. 9D08607F-4777-4596-BFEE-519677579FAC-scaled.jpeg

Terry Reed

Arctic white and black? That’s the same color combo we like with the Merc 150 Pro XS. Good luck with your new rig – looks awesome!

Terry Reed

Well, I met with a dealer this morning and we specked everything out. For trolling motor, looking at MK 112 lbs thrust I-Pilot with (3) 27 batteries and a group 31 cranking battery. Also, Helix 9 on the bow and a Helix si 10 on the console. This is a guy who only used Lowrance in the past so I will have a learning curve. Sounds like these boats are a good 6 – 8 months out from order tn receiving. Hope you got out in your new boat and it’s treating you well!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I was about to order one too until I saw mine listed, got a little lucky I guess. Then only bummer is that the Ulterra is obviously on back order. Hoping for this fall yet, but spring is fine with me.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice looking rig. Congrats and enjoy! waytogo waytogo

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Well, I met with a dealer this morning and we specked everything out. For trolling motor, looking at MK 112 lbs thrust I-Pilot with (3) 27 batteries and a group 31 cranking battery. Also, Helix 9 on the bow and a Helix si 10 on the console. This is a guy who only used Lowrance in the past so I will have a learning curve. Sounds like these boats are a good 6 – 8 months out from order tn receiving. Hope you got out in your new boat and it’s treating you well!

Perfect setup…you’ll be happy with that. I went from hbird to garmin and the learning curve wasn’t that bad.

Plus, you have at least 6 months to watch YouTube videos!

Terry Reed

Regarding the trolling motor setup, is a 112 lbs thrust necessary or is an 80 lbs thrust sufficient for a 1875 Impact XS. We really want an iPilot and the 112 requires a 36v setup. If I go w/ 80, do I go with one 24v lithium battery, 2 high-powered group 27 batteries or 2 group 31 batteries? Just want to make sure there’s enough reserve and not run out of juice in 6 hours. Thanks!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Regarding the trolling motor setup, is a 112 lbs thrust necessary or is an 80 lbs thrust sufficient for a 1875 Impact XS. We really want an iPilot and the 112 requires a 36v setup. If I go w/ 80, do I go with one 24v lithium battery, 2 high-powered group 27 batteries or 2 group 31 batteries? Just want to make sure there’s enough reserve and not run out of juice in 6 hours. Thanks!

Yes. Get a 112.

Umy
    South Metro

Get the 112 – I have the 80 and it runs my 1775 Impact All day on the waters near the metro. On the Mississippi and on Rainy it gets tired before the end of the day. Plenty of room for the batteries. I have a 12″humminbird on the dash and a 9″ on the bow . Wish I would have switched them around. The 12″ is a little big for the dash. Good thing I am tall.

Attachments:
    1. Jacks-cabin-iowa-2019-8.jpg

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I had 80 Terrova on my last Impact and it would get tired about mid afternoon pulling spinners all day. Get the 112 and never worry about it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Nice rig. Those are the same colors that are on my 2020 ProGuide. A couple of questions: 1) Didn’t the trailer come with a lifetime license? (I see it has a license plate) and 2) Isn’t the green “23” registration sticker supposed to be on the aft side of the numbers?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I was told that the lifetime license is no longer if it’s over 3000lbs? That’s what the dealer told me. The previous owner licensed the boat and then backed out on it….long story. I’ll be getting new registration stickers in the mail.

Terry Reed

I’m hoping that with a 36v trolling motor set up with (3) batteries and a group 31 cranking battery, I’ll not only have enough power to get around but also the added weight of the batteries may help stabilize the ride during windy days. Also, I saw the post where the Helix 12 may be a little too big for the dash – is a 9 on the console and a 9 on the bow sufficient? The dealer also recommended the plastic bunk upgrade over carpet to help get the boat on/off the trailer easier.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I’ve got a Helix 10…it’s a bit snug, but with the right mount a 12 should work.

Attachments:
    1. 8D80BCFB-B95B-452B-B2FB-873B57AB56B7-scaled.jpeg

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I run an 1850 Reata and have a 112

Matt or anyone else have you consider putting the third battery in the rod locker area behind the closed compartment that holds the two trolling motor batteries? On my 1850 the battery charger is there but could be rearranged to allow for a third battery I would think.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I have a 2018 1875 Impact and would recommend the 36V for sure. I have a 24v 80lb on mine but have a 9.9 kicker. If I didn’t have the kicker I would definitely have the 36v 112lb thrust. The dash is really short on space. I used 4, 4″stainless “L” brackets to mount my helix 10 on the dash. Use the brackets back to back for rigidity. This keeps the unit low and doesn’t block the windshield like other mounts. Very low cost as well. You won’t have side to side adjustment but if positioned right to begin with it is fine. Tilt up and down is still provided by the helix mount.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.