Lowrance GPS problem

• jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Need some ideas on a possible problem. 6 weeks ago I had a tournament on Rice Lake Wisconsin. Blasted off at 6:30 AM About 7 AM my units (332c & 520C) alarm came on saying GPS lost position. A minute later I got a message that GPS module not responding. Darn!!! About an hour later, I heard a beep and looked at the units and Position Acquired showed on both units.

When I got home I checked over all the wiring thinking there may be a short or loose wire. Found nothing wrong.

Used it every day since then and had no problem until yesterday. Fished a tournament and at 6:30 AM the same thing happened as before. Both units lost signal and GPS module not responding. An hour later they both came back on. i checked all connections again tody but everything was still working. What could possibly cause me to loose signal for about an hour on both units.

I have a LMS 332C and a LMS 520C. They are both hooked up to a LGC 2000 antenna puck on the dash. Have had them both for 3 or 4 years and have been trouble free. They are also NMEA 2000 connected.

I do not exagerate when I say I use them everyday( as I am retired)

What could cause this to happen. Is there a signal that quits every once in a while? or a scrambled signal that could cause this?

I do not want to get a new antenna only to find out that there is nothing wrong with the one I have.

Any suggestions to try? I did check the power switch to the antenna and when the system is working, the switch works every time.when I turn off the switch it looses signal and when I turn it back on it acquires a position within a few seconds.

HELP!!!!

jerry b
    western WI

I have the same problem with a Lowrance 5200c and a lgc 3000 antenna. Once when it died I checked to see how many satellites it was recognizing- -none. A little research on the subject tells me it’s a common problem with Lowrance. A search thru ebay will find some replacements, but they’re gonna be expensive. Gander has some 3000’s on close-out but I didn’t see any 2000’s. I think I’m going to limp thru the rest of the summer with mine and then change over to H-bird this fall. jerr

Edit- – how ’bout that- -500 posts, whodathunkit

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I should start a post about this but, Lowrance has a upgrade program for the LGC-2000 because they do not make it anymore. For $112 shiped with the new cable they will send you a LGC-4000. you will need to upgrade to the latest software and you will be good to go.

jerry b
    western WI

I’ll be on the phone first thing in the morning-my hat’s off to you jerr

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I have the same thing going on. I’ve found that if I disconnect the fittings and reconect the unit gets “position acquired”. Conection problems? Post anything you learn from Lowrance. I’m curious.

the_hat
    SE Metro

I had the exact same problem with mine. The antenna is junk. I found another 2000 series and replaced it. Problem solved. I too am reluctant to spend any money on Lowrance units that are 4 years old, cost well over 3k total, and are considered unrepairable and obsolete. The next problem I have, and I’m sure there will be another, will most likely be fixed with something that starts with “H” and ends in “umminbird”!

good luck

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

The LGC 4000 is redesigned technology from the LGC 2000 or 3000 GPS antennas. You won’t have the same problems we all experienced with the old technology when you upgrade to the 4000.

Think of your electronics as you do your PC’s at home, they aren’t much different, just mini computers. There are software upgrades and improvements made on that catagory of computers every day. Just because a company is improving their product for our benefit shouldn’t mean we change co’s because they are. Besides the other company is probably improving their units and software too!

Suppose you get yourself a “new” computer or cell phone and few months later you look at the “new” stuff available then. We might think ours is outdated. It’s the nature of this industry, software and hardware are improving all the time so we should be happy with our “new” stuff while we have it and upgrade to the next generation of “new” stuff when we can. Then that stuff will be outdated in a short period of time too. The cycle doesn’t stop. Which is good for us, we get unbelievable electronics to fish with.

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

I called Lowrance at 8:30 this morning and on the third ring they actually answered the phone. I explained my problem and what I had done to troubleshoot the system and they explained that I was elegible for an upgrade to a new 4000 at a reduced cost of $112.45 for the new antenna and adaptor cable. It is on it’s way. They were very understanding and cooperative. Couldn’t do better than they did. I checked the marine dealers and the price was from $275 to $325. Quite a savings. The LGC 2000 was 5 yrs old

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

Lowrance has had a bad rap in the past but has worked very hard to fix problems, the mark of a good company that cares.

Thanks for the update and good news. You will not be disappointed in the LGC 4000!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.