Broken Transducer

• wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

I have a 332C. I snapped the transducer at the skinniest part. I tried gorilla glue – no luck. I tried drilling a hole through it and inserting a screw and nut – no luck. Do you think a plastic welder would do the trick? Any other suggestions? Buy a new one is certainly an option, but I would prefer not to. It’s on a I/O and the wiring is a bit of a hassle. Thanks for your help.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I’ve used JB Weld normal cure successfully. I reinforced with PolyPro wrap thru the weld and also used a metal pipe bolt down, bent to wrap around it.

I drilled a bunch of holes thru the pipe bolt down and nicked up the transducer so the weld would have surface to grab onto.

Whole procedure seemed to be successful. I am not impressed with the durability of the lowrance transducers at all. Very snapable.

I may be able to find some pictures of the procedure, but a cursory check was unsuccessful.

bluewing
    North Iowa

I have had the same problem with the exact transducer. Used two part marine epoxy from Fleet Farm with good success. Let the epxoy set-up for 24 hours before moving the transducer.

Good luck

ed

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

try a two part epoxy, or JB Weld, and if that doesn’t work…buy a new one.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

The JB Weld and Pro wrap worked so well, I feel like i should use it on every installation as a protection..

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Awesome insight guys. That’s why I love this site so much. Thanks. Can’t believe I didn’t think of JB Weld. What is this PolyPro wrap you speak of?

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i used braided fishing line to reinforce the JB Weld, similar to how you would use wire mesh in concrete. Makes it stronger. Gives linear strength.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

goll, look what i found…

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Stu – nice job. And thanks for the photos. I tried the JB (without any wrap or nicks). Seemed to be real solid after a day of curing. About a 1/4 mile out I could hear the transducer slapping the hull. So…I bought some marine epoxy today. That is my next trial. We’ll see.

Here’s a question: Do you think the JB would cause some type of interference? Stu, you would know. The amount of JB I used was far less than your set-up. When I dropped the boat in, it didn’t appear the depth was reading correctly. Now that it is broken again, it certainly doesn’t read accurately.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

you really need to use all the reinforcing that was illustrated. there is a tremendous amount of force back there and greater amounts when you stress it up or down.

all of that said, i put my new 50/200 on and went for a test run in ‘ waves with my 7yo. well, i could put the boat on the upwind side of the dock and it would make a lot of noise and scare her and scratch the boat a bit.

OR, i could put the boat on the down wind side and tie it up.

well, 3 foot waves loosened the tiedown and the boat ended up on the rocks and cement ramp.

snapped the ducer…

felt pretty stupid, but now I’ve got one to repair myself…
    should have stayed home and answered your post instead of making work for myself!!!

greatwhitenorth

I don’t mean to ruffle any feathers here but I don’t think the problem is the transducers being “snappable” so much as that people don’t install them properly in the bracket. If you are snapping them off it means you have tightened the bolt too much. You need to go easy on the bolt so the transducer will “kick up” when it strikes anything. The mount has teeth in it and doesn’t need to be tightened very much. You can even test it in the driveway after install to make sure it will perform as expected…and save you some cash…

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

I don’t mean to ruffle any feathers here but I don’t think the problem is the transducers being “snappable” so much as that people don’t install them properly in the bracket. If you are snapping them off it means you have tightened the bolt too much. You need to go easy on the bolt so the transducer will “kick up” when it strikes anything. The mount has teeth in it and doesn’t need to be tightened very much. You can even test it in the driveway after install to make sure it will perform as expected…and save you some cash…

No feathers ruffled here. And I agree. I had mine installed professionally and hadn’t touched it since. Mine broke on a boat lift. I had the lift down and pushed the boat all the way forward to stand on it while putting up the canopy. My bad. Now I think the transducer is trashed. Like Mudshark posted in the Hummingbird forum, it is beat up and not reading. After the first two attempts at fixing it, I could hear it slapping the hull while motoring. Now I am afraid if the epoxy holds or not, I am going to need a new one. Oh well, live and learn. We’ll see what happens next time I use it. Thanks for all the help IDO!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.