4.0 update problems

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I have a HDS 7 it’s brand new, I am trying to do the update, I am using a new 2 gig card, I put in in the unit, nothing happens. I think the card has up loaded correctly, from the computer, any ideas?

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I hope that you did the same thing that i did–forgot to unzip it. I downloaded the update and forgot to run it before transferring it to the card. After I realized what I had neglected to do, I clicked on the download on my computer and it began unzipping and it then asked me where my card was to save the files to it. I put it in, turned on the HDS and watched it load. Hope this helps.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I run the program, now when it trys to download it comes up as an error: unknown publisher, I hit retry and no worky.. I love computers, stress factor is a 10..

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

My question is what do you need to get the information from the computer to the SD card ??? Some sort of special adapter ???

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

i just performed the upgrade on my HDS 5 last night, using a 2GB Sandisk card, and it worked fine.

remember, you have to run the exe file after you download it, you can’t just copy that onto the card and start the unit up.

1. download the file

2. run the file on your PC

3. it will prompt you to specify where to save the files it is about to extract.

4. click browse and choose your SD card that is currently plugged into your PC

5. click next, and it takes about 5-10 minutes for it to extract all of the data onto the SD card and finish the setup.

6. when its done, unplug the SD card from your PC

7. Make sure your graph is turned off, plug in the SD card
    boot up your graph

8. the upgrade should start automatically, and takes about 5 minutes.

9. after doing the upgrade, on the first bootup, it will prompt you to do the “first time setup”, i just selected no. and i checked all the settings, and it retained all of my custom settings and waypoints, etc, after the upgrade.

one piece of advice, i would perform a backup of your waypoints/trails/routes before doing this….Just in case…

to do that, put a blank SD card in your unit (you could use the same 2GB card you will do the install with, there will be plenty of room on it for everything)

press the pages button until you get to the last option( i think its “files”) and from there you can export all of your data. just in case the unit bombs during the upgrade, you will have a backup of everything.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I do it exactly like you say, except a window with and error, do you have access to these files…

Scott26

Ron,

Also some other things to try is this. I seems that you either have Windows Vista or Windows 7. Make sure that the HDS download is saved to a location that you have access to….like your desktop. If you saved it to the root of the C drive that could be why your getting that error message.

when it prompts you to save the files you point it to your SD card that you have in your reader. If it then says you don’t have access to that….you might want to check if there is a lock on that SD card or try to format it first and then try the setup again.

Let me know if you havn’t got this working yet. I can mail you my card if you want. I just did my last unit last night.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Scott, Thank you, for the help. I called Lowrance, and spoke with a very helpful young lady. She is sending me a card to try, that is her own. hopefully it will work, if so I will ship it right back to her. I do believe it is a bad down load to the card, computers and Ronnie are like oil and water. hahaha Thank you again for the offer, that is very kind. Ron

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

I also had the same problem. I have Windows XP. With an empty 1G SDMMC card, I tried to get the update via a desktop and two laptops….no luck. Ensured I was using a SDMMC (not SDHC)card and made certain it is empty. Went to Gander where I bought the unit; they had the update on a 512 card and the upload worked beautifully. I learned that in many cases the upload will only work with a 512 Meg card. Makes no sense, but just ordered a couple on line for $5 each in preparation for the next update (I had a hard time finding MMC cards at retail stores e.g. Best Buy).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.