Lowrance ghost

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Looks like the new lowrance has some good features, but no remote is a killer for me. I have a tiller and don’t bass fish much. I actually use my bow mount to pull cranks quit often and sit in the back of the boat. 24 or 36v is really nice. My last complaint and I new it was going to happen is it won’t link with gen3’s. I have three on the boat and not really looking to up grade. Looks like I will be keeping my minnkota not that I really like it, but there is no reason to up grade.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

On other forums they are saying there will be a remote available to purchase separately but I have not seen anything official.

hnd

only a 47″ shaft too.

nu98walleye

I’m a tiller guy and fish primarily from the back of the boat. Even if they come out with a remote the head until does not turn, id have to imagine it will be hard to tell the motors course. The arrow on top of the motor most likely will not be visible from anywhere but the front seat. Unless they have some type of heading on the remote screen?

CaptainMusky

I’m a tiller guy and fish primarily from the back of the boat. Even if they come out with a remote the head until does not turn, id have to imagine it will be hard to tell the motors course. The arrow on top of the motor most likely will not be visible from anywhere but the front seat. Unless they have some type of heading on the remote screen?

It boggles my mind why they cannot display a motor direction arrow on the GPS screen. They have overlays for everything else.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Guys there WILL be a remote. I believe it is called the TR1. It will be $100. It will have no screen also. I saw a picture at iCast at the Lowrance Staff meeting.

They will have up to a 60″ shaft which won’t be available till Q2 of 2020.

Once I get the slide show and get the pictures I will post them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It will be $100. It will have no screen also. I saw a picture at iCast at the Lowrance Staff meeting.

Total deal breaker. Does minnkota own a patent on this or what?

CaptainMusky

Guys there WILL be a remote. I believe it is called the TR1. It will be $100. It will have no screen also. I saw a picture at iCast at the Lowrance Staff meeting.

Great! I wouldnt buy one if it had a stupid screen anyway. When my Motorguide craps out I will be in the market for one.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Messerschmidt wrote:</div>

Great! I wouldnt buy one if it had a stupid screen anyway. When my Motorguide craps out I will be in the market for one.

I never have the need for a screen on my remote myself. All my information displays on my graph and a quick glance and I am good.

Anonymous
    Inactive

3K for a trolling motor??

I prefer a screen option; preferably one that is nicely backlit for use at night. Looking at a graph isn’t always a great option IMO.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Messerschmidt wrote:</div>
    I never have the need for a screen on my remote myself. All my information displays on my graph and a quick glance and I am good.

Exactly.

Once you run a minnkota WITH a screen, you’ll never want to be without one.

I am glad they came out with one as I like most their products but I don’t see myself parting from minnkota from this model…

munchy
    NULL

Saw a video of a TM with remote at iCast and it steered the trolling motor by just turning the remote. Looked kinda cool but not sure how good it will actually work in real life. Didn’t catch which brand it was for however.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

I’ve had the Terrova, then an Xi5, then another Terrova, then back to the Xi5.

I thought I’d really miss the LCD screen on the remote, but I’m like Chris, I didn’t miss it at all. There’s a display on all my sonar screens if I NEED to know, but all I’m generally ever concerned about is my speed and direction. Speed I get from my sonar units no matter where I am in the boat, and direction is simply looking at the trolling motor. I don’t care whether I’m on 1 or 10, or what percentage power, or battery power, or whatever else is on the remote, that’s all pretty irrelevant to me.

I absolutely hated the remote on the new generation Terrova. The button placement was so unnatural and awkward. I found I had to constantly look down to be able to press the right button, and even after an entire season, I found myself getting mis-clicks all the time.

The XI5 remote has such an easy and intuitive layout that I never look down at it, it’s automatic. I’m watching the sonars, the motor, and the rods.

From what I’ve seen of the Lowrance remote, it looks and is laid out a lot like the XI5.

The new Ghost looks awesome, there’s a ton to like about it, but until the next generation Ghost comes out with a 72″ shaft and loses the cable steer, I’ll likely stick with the XI5.

Waxy

CaptainMusky

Wrong! My buddy has a minnkota with a screen and I have used his boat on many occasions and I absolutely hated it! The remote is enormous. No way would I want to have that hanging from my body anywhere let alone my neck.
    I can look at any one of my 3 lowrance GPS displays and see what the motorguide is doing, prop on, speed set, heading lock, etc. Not need to look at a small screen on a giant remote when I can see everything on a big screen on my GPS. Once I moved to a remote controlled trolling motor I dont even bother sitting up front anymore. I have a GPS up there, but I stand at the console and watch the GPS and Depth finder and control the trolling motor from there. I can change direction, increase speed, etc just by simple touch on the remote, I dont have to look at the screen on the remote or whatever to figure anything out. Its much more intuitive.

CaptainMusky

I absolutely hated the remote on the new generation Terrova. The button placement was so unnatural and awkward. I found I had to constantly look down to be able to press the right button, and even after an entire season, I found myself getting mis-clicks all the time.

Exactly THIS!!!
    Regarding the shaft length, I havent heard a 72″ is in the works. That is a long shaft! -)

The Ghost is not cable steer though, its drive by wire. The one thing that might be harder to adjust to is the head of the Ghost never turns so just looking at the head unit will not tell you what direction you are going based on head position.

LOWRANCE LISTEN UP! PUT A TROLLING MOTOR DIRECTION INDICATOR AS AN OVERLAY on your GPS units! Should be simple and that would cure most of that issue.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

I absolutely hated it! The remote is enormous. No way would I want to have that hanging from my body anywhere let alone my neck.

I’d suggest one of these if that 4oz remote is too heavy.LOL

https://www.fitnessfactory.com/item/3002/ma307n/nylon_head_harness/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6KOtJm94wIVRL7ACh3VQATFEAQYASABEgIwiPD_BwE

blank

I’m assuming you guys are talking about the iPilote remote with the small b&w screen and bunch of buttons, and not the Link remote with the large color and few buttons?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m assuming you guys are talking about the iPilote remote with the small b&w screen and bunch of buttons, and not the Link remote with the large color and few buttons?

Yes…I am at least.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Minnkota really screwed the i-Pilot remote on the new models. The location of the direction and speed control buttons are extremely unnatural but the screen IS necessary.

Attachments:
    1. F16E69FB-2FEE-4FAE-A713-9EC10E99BD20.jpeg

CaptainMusky

Yes, it is the iPilot.

No, the screen is not necessary. Perhaps if you have a Bird it is, but not with Lowrance it certainly isnt due to how it integrates.

I know this is in the Lowrance section, but I have spent some time researching the new Motorguide, Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors.

Each one has some nifty features and it would be great if you could combine the best of each of them into ONE!

Example, the configurability of the Ghost foot pedal, fly by wire steer and split shaft so only the bottom turns (no twisted cables). The wireless and bluetooth connected pedal from Garmin and wifi connectivity to Garmin displays. The remote for the Garmin looks slick with how you can use gestures, etc to control the direction of the motor. That is impressive.

I really like the fact that these things are 24 OR 36 volt. That is slick as heck and should really help guys out if they get into a larger or smaller boat. They dont need to replace their motor.

I have to wonder though are these 3 motors produced by one company (Motorguide??) just to each other specs? Seems awfully ambitious that they all 3 come out with a new model the same year.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Just wait…. We’ll see an offshore version from Lowrance I bet soon and probably 2 or 3 other manufactures doing the same. One is a sleeper company with an actual big name that is going to surprise a lot of people. I can’t wait for that one.

I have been told lengths of up to 82″

hnd

not everyone can link the MG to a unit. Therefore for most the remote with a display is one of the best benefits of the MK units. buddy didn’t like the wander of his old terrova bought an xi5 and absolutely hated not being able to see what the motor was doing. didnt’ want to drop another 150 on a gateway kit, he went back to his old MK.

the link remote is a bit ridiculous size wise in my opinion. the OG remote is right on point.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Here is a picture of the remote for the GHOST.

Attachments:
    1. TRM.png

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I was hoping for more with the remote. I used jog, heading lock, and cruise a lot for bass fishing when I had the xi5.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I was hoping for more with the remote. I used jog, heading lock, and cruise a lot for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass fishing when I had the xi5.

The Ghost remote still has all of that. From what I was told there is some button sequence to do it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.