Lowrance carbons

• boos1906

Hey guys I bought Lowrance carbons from Bass Pro shops. I bought a nine and a 12. I get them installed from Bass Pro for free. Otherwise I wouldn’t be going to bass pro. Bass pro has kind of been less than helpful. I had intentions of buying a 16 for the console and 12 for the bow. The service tech talked me out of it saying a 16 is way to big and I’d be unhappy with it. He basically told me I was dumb for considering a 16. Unfortunately I listened to him.

I am wanting side scammed and down the imaging on the bow. I will have the 12 and 9 networked together. I had full intentions of buying a trolling motor bracket to mount the 3 n 1 to the Terrova. The service tech told me this morning that’s not possible on a Terrova. I then asked him not even if I buy a bracket and he said no. He said very easy to cut the power cord when turning the motor around. Also said very easy to bang the transducer in to a dock and ruin it. Do you agree with that?

I kind of feel he wants to see the last of me and also wants to the least amount of work possible. I’d totally go else where but I’m getting it installed for free. Is what he’s telling me correct?

CaptainMusky

I had full intentions of buying a trolling motor bracket to mount the 3 n 1 to the Terrova. The service tech told me this morning that’s not possible on a Terrova. I then asked him not even if I buy a bracket and he said no. He said very easy to cut the power cord when turning the motor around. Also said very easy to bang the transducer in to a dock and ruin it. Do you agree with that?

Sounds like he is being lazy to me. Wants to do the easiest least amount of time for the install. You are the customer and you should get what you want. There is a risk for sure that the cord could become twisted however that is something you can pay attention to.

boos1906

Can you buy a mount for the minnkota? I assume you can but he said no. Any advantage to having the 3 n 1 on the motor rather than running off the transducer in the back?

CaptainMusky

Can you buy a mount for the minnkota? I assume you can but he said no. Any advantage to having the 3 n 1 on the motor rather than running off the transducer in the back?

I havent looked into whether you can get a bracket for the terrova, but Id imagine you can, but possibly not from Bass Pro. If you run it off the back, but are viewing in the front you will be seeing things you passed over long ago, at least whatever the length of your boat is. Really no different than your console using the transom mounted trasnducer. I dont think it would be that big of a deal. Since you are networking the units, just use the bow unit, but display the transducer from the console unit as the source.

boos1906

Sorry you lost me. Are you saying mount the 3 n 1 to the trolling motor or run it off the transom one?

CaptainMusky

Sorry you lost me. Are you saying mount the 3 n 1 to the trolling motor or run it off the transom one?

I was saying run off the transom one if you couldn’t find a bracket but there are multiple options out there so I’d go that route mounting to trolling motor. Do you have 2 3 in 1 transducers? One for each unit? If not my preference would be to run the 3 in 1 off the back vs the trolling motor but that’s just me.

boos1906

Yes I have 2. I got one with both carbon units. I’m just scared I will cut the cord.

Ripjiggen

It’s possible. I don’t use side imaging on bow much as either way that info is going to be behind you and with trolling motor speed the picture is going to be greatly distorted.
    I tend to use more down scan and 2d when fishing from the bow as it’s more instant info.
    If I do use it I use my transom transducer.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s possible. I don’t use side imaging on bow much as either way that info is going to be behind you and with trolling motor speed the picture is going to be greatly distorted.
    I tend to use more down scan and 2d when fishing from the bow.

Same. Side scan is not a great tool on a bow mount because the head is always turning and maintaining a constant speed is also difficult.

I have a Lowrance carbon unit on my console and the manual indicates that side scan works most optimum at 5 mph. I think the refresh rate can be adjusted to work at a slower speed, I just haven’t done it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.