Lowrance 520 problem

• Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

My Lowrance sonar is working intermittently. For no apparent reason it stops showing the water column and displays the depth at 2 ft. If I unplug the transducer cable while it is malfunctioning it does not change the 2 ft depth reading. Wiggling the connector plug in back of the unit has no effect. Eventually it returns to normal for a while, then reverts back to malfunctioning. My brother-in-law said he heard Lowrance put out some bad transducers that may cause this problem. A few years ago I did have to replace the transducer due to physical damage. Does anyone have any insight on this.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I had the same problem with my 522c
    And yes, Lowrance did put out some faulty transducers during this time when this series was first out on the market.

I ordered a new transducer eventually and have had no problems since

mmitties
    SE MN

I’ve had the same problems with my 520C and did a factory reset which will switch all unit features and functions back to factory default settings. I would try that before replacing the transducer, reset options are on page 179 in my manual.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You can try the reset but my thought is the symptom matched the bad transducers they had some years ago. Been there done that more than once.
    I’m going to agree with Bullcans.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

I had the same problem on my 525 too, was intermittent for a while then went solid, transducer actually had a crack in it. Make sure your setting is for shallow water if you are fishing in less the 20 FOW. Try to swap the transducer if you can find someone who has one.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Thanks for the help. I did not want to spend $80 (?) for the transducer unless there was hope it would correct the problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.