Lowering wheel house to the ice

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Just curious what everyone uses under there fish house when it’s lowered to the ice. 2×4’s in every corner? Nothing if you are only going to be out for a day or less? Do you think 1×4 is sufficient? Obviously by going that route it’s less snow to bank. Thanks.

Chad

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I don’t do anything. I don’t know many who use anything either

Brady Valberg

Get some hole sleeves and you shouldn’t need to bank your house in

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

My fish house is older and I leave it in one spot from Xmas to end if Feb. because of that I actually place it on 6×6’s.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Get some hole sleeves and you shouldn’t need to bank your house in

You haven’t fished north of the Mason Dixon line much have you?

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I always used 2×4’s in the corners and under the tongue when I would set my house down. Whether it was for 1 day or 1 week

Aaron Kalberer

I’m in a similar boat as bob, I move it once maybe twice, and use 6×6 as well. Having a fish house frame freeze in once will make you a believer in blocking it up. Anything to get it off the ice. I run 6×6 incase we get any flooding.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I always used 2×4’s in the corners and under the tongue when I would set my house down. Whether it was for 1 day or 1 week

I do 2x4s as well every time I use it

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I used 2×4’s in each corner as well. Could get away with 1×4’s if you want. Only time I don’t put anything down is if its completely bare ice with no snow to use to bank. Drill the holes with the house up and pull out the slush and lower it down.

Terny

I don’t do anything. I don’t know many who use anything either

same here, I’ve never had to/ or seen many people put anything under there house frame.

Smellson

Been using my wheel house since 2008 and have always dropped it right on the ice. Typically I’m out for 2-4 days and have never had it freeze in. Seems like a pain to block it up Everytime and have to bank it that much more….it’s hard enough for me to get up the ambition to move spots as is ha

bobberstop4054

Just use the shoots dropped all the way down

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Guess for me using 2×4’s isn’t cuz I’m worried it’ll freeze in, I’m more worried about the spray foam on the bottom freezing to the slush and coming off a small bit at a time.

B-man

Never blocked my wheelhouse up.

Sleeves AND banking for me please, every time (unless of course there is no snow.).

404 ERROR
    MN

I use pieces of composite deck boards. They don’t splinter and break when chipping out of the ice and they don’t freeze down near as much.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I assumed everyone blocked their house up unless they go when there is no melt and refreeze. I can’t imagine trying to chisel out a huge wheelhouse if it melts in. I seen some bad freeze-in up north during 40 degree days then re-freezing. I guess I would not take chances and use boards in each corner…but that’s me.

B-man

I assumed everyone blocked their house up unless they go when there is no melt and refreeze. I can’t imagine trying to chisel out a huge wheelhouse if it melts in. I seen some bad freeze-in up north during 40 degree days then re-freezing. I guess I would not take chances and use boards in each corner…but that’s me.

I’ve plunked my shack down countless times….. Couldn’t even tell you a number (never blocked it once).

Once…and only once did it try freezing down (and still wasn’t an issue).

I was at Lake of the Woods a few years ago and there was a ton of snow out of Warroad.

Springsteel had roads plowed and spots for wheelhouses. It was wicked cold and as soon as I drilled the first hole my area flooded with about 3″ of water. I banked the house as usual. A few days later everything not banked was frozen solid. Where it was banked had a partially frozen layer. I put tension on the cables and had to chisel for 2 minutes…..not a big deal at all.

In hindsight blocks would have helped me on that specific trip, only because it was so cold (-20) and it started to freeze under my banking. If it was 0 degrees out it wouldn’t have happened.

99% of the time blocking is completely unnecessary from my experience. But if it makes you feel better, have at it. Just please don’t leave the blocks on the ice.

Morel of the story, if your flooding out and it’s really cold, it could save you a little time.

The most important time to block your shack is in the off season (if you have your shack down to camp in one spot all summer). Get it up 3.5″ minimum to allow the air to move under the shack and prevent moisture from building up.

One summer I dropped my shack on to 2×4’s (1.5″) and I slightly warped a couple peices of tng after a few months of being that close to the ground.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I use 4×4 if there is snow to bank and 2x if not, absolutely silly to drop it on the ice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.