Low Speed Steering Problem – Minn Kota Terrova

• Obsession
    Maple Grove

I have a 2019 Terrova #80. When operating manually at low speeds (less than power setting 2) or when spot lock is active and the unit is using low speeds, the unit is n able to steer. I can hear the steering motor running but it is unable to turn the shaft. It almost seems like it can’t get a firm enough “grip” on the shaft. As the steering motor is running you can see the head unit trying to rotate. This inability to steer at low speeds causes the boat to drift and break Spot Lock.

If the speed setting is increased (above setting 2) the unit steers perfectly.

My batteries supply enough power to run the unit 5-6 hours at mid-speeds.

Has anyone encountered this type of low speed steering problem?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Are you sure you are lining up the ‘teeth’ that lock together? It shouldn’t have to catch on anything. If you have the lift assist which I think you do there is a tooth that sticks down into a bracket to keep it from doing that.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Jeffery, you might be right. I see the “tooth” you’re talking about (which appears to be spring-loaded and pass through the lift assist). I will definitely make sure that tooth nests in the notch on the collar to see if that resolves the problem!

blank

I agree with Jeffrey that it’s probably the steering tooth/dog not seated in the steering collar. Might be good to spray some silicone lubricate on lift assist tooth/dog to help it spring freely.

One tip, just before I stow the motor I have gotten in the habit to steer the motor that the head is pointing forward so you can get the steering mechanism matched up easily when you deploy it again. Basically you always know where it needs to line up rather than having to turn the head one way or the other to line up the steering collar and the tooth.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Yep, looks like they cover the need to align the steering notch when deploying at 4:45 in this video:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.