LOTW Trip – Questions from a first timer

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Booked a trip with some family to LOTW for end of February, going out of Arnesen’s. This will be my first time taking any ice trip, or venturing on any of the big lakes outside of southern Minnesota or South Dakota. Few general questions I have so I/we don’t look like idiots and know what the expectations are.

How much gear are we probably allowed to bring on the transportation vehicle with us? We were talking about what to make for lunches, and if possible we’d like to bring along a small portable grill for lunch on the ice. Or is a cooler with some sandwiches and beverages of our own about the most equipment to bring, in addition to a few poles, tackle, electronics?

Bringing our own auger if we wanted to set up a couple tip ups outside the house on our own if the day gets slow? I’m assuming this is a no…? Do resorts check on you at all during the day or move you if it’s slow and there may be a bite elsewhere?

Any expectations to catch anything other than walleye/sauger? Northern? Perch?

A little timeline of what the day looks like, from when you hit the ice to getting back?

Go Spuds

Honesty Ive never done a LOTW resort trip–but all the questions you have seem like ones that they should/could answer for you. Id shoot them an email or give them a call.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can chime in here, I am pretty familiar with their operation up there.

How much gear are we probably allowed to bring on the transportation vehicle with us? We were talking about what to make for lunches, and if possible we’d like to bring along a small portable grill for lunch on the ice. Or is a cooler with some sandwiches and beverages of our own about the most equipment to bring, in addition to a few poles, tackle, electronics?

You can take a fair amount of gear per group. Most groups have:
    – Rod cases
    – tackle boxes
    – electronics
    – cooler
    – beer

Obviously if you can combine gear it makes it easier to get your whole group out at once. Two rod bags instead of 4, etc. They will give you a 5 gallon pail with fatheads and a couple garbage bags for trash. I’d say it’s worth having an empty pail or two(they stack) for fish, to hold a trash bag. If you forget they might have extras but they always complain when people steal them. Keep your fish in the house, throw ice/snow in the bucket if you want, but they are a pain to clean if they’ve been deep frozen outside all day.

A lot of guys bring little portable grills, I’d try to bring as small as you can though. The worst that will happen if you have too much stuff is they will bring you out in two shifts, or the track van driver might give you some crap about packing like a ‘girl on vacation’ or something silly.

Bringing our own auger if we wanted to set up a couple tip ups outside the house on our own if the day gets slow? I’m assuming this is a no…? Do resorts check on you at all during the day or move you if it’s slow and there may be a bite elsewhere?

A little timeline of what the day looks like, from when you hit the ice to getting back?

I would call and ask about the auger. I think I’ve seen guys bring their own auger, but generally they don’t.

Here’s how it normally works.
    7AM – 9AM:
    People line up by the bait house in the morning(some groups go early, some get a later start), track van drivers will ask what group you are and direct you to a van based on where your house is. You load up your stuff and they drop you off at the house. You might have to wait a bit depending where you are in line, so make sure you are dressed appropriately. The houses are super warm and the track vans are warm, but waiting for 20 minutes outside is not warm. Like most houses, they are cold by the floor and warm near the ceiling, so make sure you wear boots and stuff. As you are unloading, they will go into the house and drill out the holes for you.

Plan on your ride being 20-30 minutes, could be more depending on where they have you fishing and if pressure ridges force them to take longer routes.

9AM – noon: you’ll just be happily fishing in your house, I’d expect to see an Arnesen’s dude at some point in the late morning to check in on you. This is a good opportunity to ask how other houses are doing to gauge how bad you guys suck, etc.

I don’t think they’d be opposed to drilling a couple holes outside of the house, but I’d ask them on the drive out. Something like, “Hey, if we throw you an extra $10, could you drill a couple holes outside the house for tip-ups? Maybe after you’ve got all the houses out?”

They will check on you likely a few times throughout the day, so that’s another good opportunity to ask if they could drill you a hole or two. They all really appreciate a pop, piece of jerky, snack, hot dog, etc. If you are friendly and not making their job harder then most of them are pretty cool dudes that are willing to help you out. Just keep in mind it’s a really long day for these guys and they drill hundreds of holes with those double extension heavy ass Jiffy’s, bank houses in all day, clean fish, and put up with some obnoxious idiots.

Afternoon:
    You’ll probably get another check in sometime in the afternoon, at which point they often give you a head’s up when the shuttles back in will happen. The track vans are pretty easy to hear/see coming. If you really need to talk to them, walk outside and wave em down if they are driving by, or call the lodge and ask them to stop out at house #xx. They keep a map of all the houses they put out, so they’ll find you easily/quickly.

Sometime a bit before the sun is completely down:
    They’ll pick you back up. Take their time estimate before and make sure your stuff is somewhat packed up. They are ferrying 300+ people in and out everyday, I know you want to maximize fishing time, but when you are sitting in a cramped track van and want to get back for dinner/beer/etc. you’ll be annoyed when the next house takes 20 minutes to pack up their gear. We generally start to pack up all the non-fishing items while it’s still nice and light out, then wait until we hear the track van coming to reel up our lines.

Once you’re back in, you’ll have the option to clean your fish yourself or to have the guides do it(I think it used to be $.75/fish). Most of them will take like 30 seconds per fish, I can’t remember if they deliver them to your cabin or if you come back to pick them up. I think they deliver them. If you eat at the lodge you can bring a ziploc of fish filets with you and ask them to cook them for you. I don’t remember the price, but they will fry or bake them(your choice), with a soup/salad, bread and maybe a potato. They generally do a really good job frying them up.

If fishing stinks and you want to try a new spot, make sure you talk to your driver on one of their non-pickup check ins. This is why I like to ask how well other houses are doing though, if you are underperforming compared to other houses, maybe consider a move, if you are on par it might not do much and could just take away fishing time.

Any expectations to catch anything other than walleye/sauger? Northern? Perch?

Most of your fish will be walleye/sauger, but at any point you could get a wandering perch, northern, tulibee, eelpout or even a crappie(pretty rare). We have caught the occasional northern with a tip up right outside our house. I wouldn’t bank on numbers, but if you were to hook up it would be a nice fish.

Make sure you are watching your electronics, the walleyes/saugers come in TIGHT to the bottom. If you see the color of the bottom flicker yellow(on a Marcum), there is likely a fish there. Usually you’ll have to get them to chase your lure a foot or two off until they will bite. Some of our biggest and most aggressive fish come in suspended. Really fast reacting/overly aggressive marks are often tulibee. Don’t be afraid to keep an eelpout if you haven’t eaten them before. Ask someone to help you clean them and the lodge will cook them up for you too!

Red and pink are great colors up there. Ratln’ flyers, buckshot spoons, etc. Don’t bother bringing a camera, you won’t see anything on it.

Bring a bucket and TP because you’ll be waiting awhile to twosie, and the rumbling track van ride doesn’t help quell the swell.

Don’t get frustrated if you aren’t fishing at sunup and sundown, LOTW is a total day-bite lake for the most part. Our best fishing is generally NOT right away in the morning and right before sun down.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Assuming you are on the day house plan, and not renting sleepers. We did this trip last year around the same time and you can bring as much gear as you can fit in the track van/box truck. We brought a portable grill and an auger. The ice was bad last year (really rough and tough to drill through), plus needed an extension, and it was super cold so we didn’t drill many holes or setup tipups. They are great about checking on you a couple times throughout the day, but generally don’t move you unless there is a specific valid reason (ie something wrong with the house, not slow fishing). We caught a little bit of everything walleye, saugers, couple perch and a northern or two I think, and tons of Tullibee’s. Tullie’s are excellent smoked, so we kept them and brought home a lot of meat.

You and your group (and other groups) line up in the morning and they have a whole fleet of track vehicles running people out, so it goes quick but the earlier you get there the better. They bring you in fairly early in the evening (I want to say around 5), so it’s a pretty quick day of fishing if you are used to putting in 10-12 hour days. My only complaints would be dinner in the restaurant is super slow as you have everyone coming in all at once and the servers/cooks can’t keep up, you spend a lot of time loading/unloading and travelling to and from the houses, and the track drivers aren’t bashful asking for a tip (which I’d recommend giving them up front). Otherwise it’s a first class operation, and we had a great time!

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

We used to go through Arnesens a lot. They are top notch. I’ve seen guys bring big screen TVs with a generator. If you’re doing a sleeper they’re pretty good about using one of the bigger track vehicles because you will have more gear then the day houses. When we go it’s 4 guys. Each has a rod locker and tackle bag, usually 2 big DuPont totes with cooking gear and odds and ends. Usually a case of beer and a case of soda per guy. Then you have your 4 bags groceries or so. They won’t have a problem with whatever you bring. They’ve seen it all out there.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Do all the resorts pretty much run the same operation?
    We are using River Bend’s Resort

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Thank you all for the replies, especially from Phil. These were the exact answers I was looking for. Yes, I could have contacted the resort but I’m not the one who booked the trip, and it is nice getting first hand tips and experiences from guys like you that have experienced it before. We are doing the day houses, and sleeping on land.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do all the resorts pretty much run the same operation?
    We are using River Bend’s Resort

No, they all kind of do their own thing, but I believe River Bend is similar with the track van ride out. Might be worth a call or email to check.

KP
    Hudson, WI

The Bombers are way better to ride in than the Track Van’s. One advice I’d make is try not to bring so much stuff. Try to consolidate your gear because it makes it easier to load up in the vehicles.

I would just tip the guide if you want to drill holes outside but honestly it’s best to have your 2 lines inside. Have a jigging rod and a dead stick rod. Also make sure to have your license. We get checked every year and heard some group last year didnt buy them.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

X2 with Phil. That’s an awesome write up and covers it perfectly!

Will also call out his points about how if you act decently and treat them right then they are pretty cool dudes. If you’re courteous, ready to go on time, and don’t leave a mess, it’s amazing how nice and helpful they can be to you.

zooks

X2 with Phil. That’s an awesome write up and covers it perfectly!

Will also call out his points about how if you act decently and treat them right then they are pretty cool dudes. If you’re courteous, ready to go on time, and don’t leave a mess, it’s amazing how nice and helpful they can be to you.

X2, especially offering them a drink/snack when they stop in and let them know they’re welcome to stay for a bit if they’re at a slow spot in their day.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned is if someone in your group is a tobacco user. If so:
    1) Make sure you know if it’s OK to do that while fishing. No smokes in the house I’m sure but it might be no tobacco period ask before you go.
    2) Make dang sure to take care of that mess
    3) Offer a smoke/dip to the guys checking in on you, when the FW smoked cigs years ago she usually passed out 1-2 a day to the guys.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

Headed up to Border View in a couple weeks. Is tipping the drivers something expected? I guess I never really thought about it and don’t want to be rude or not get the best service because of it.
    Good point on the tobacco zooks. Not sure how happy my old man would be ice fishing without his cigars.

KP
    Hudson, WI

We have always tipped our guides because most of the time they are the ones who are cleaning your fish as well.

X2 Also on being ready to go and offering them a beverage. They might pick you up last so you can get extra time to fish.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The guys out on the ice work their butts off so yes make sure you tip those guys.
    I personally like the resorts that let us come and go off the ice as we please. I’m not a big fan of the Resort’s where it is mandatory that you use their transportation.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

Thanks I’ll make sure to have cash on me.

I hear what you’re saying about going on you’re own but between not being familiar with the area and enjoying a bunch of beers throughout the day we opted to let someone else drive. At least for the first day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.