LOTW Report

• Dan

Hi folks, I’m headed to LOTW Sunday AM and curious if anyone has any current fishing reports/updates for the south end? I have heard that it was slow a while back but haven’t heard anything recently. Also curious what the bait situation is looking like up there.

budn
    Rothsay MN

I was up there last weekend. It was the worst fishing I have had on LOTW. Four of us caught 10 fish. Only one small sauger worth keeping. Went out of Wheelers point.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi folks, I’m headed to LOTW Sunday AM and curious if anyone has any current fishing reports/updates for the south end? I have heard that it was slow a while back but haven’t heard anything recently. Also curious what the bait situation is looking like up there.

The answer depends on the area. I’m still hearing slow bites coming from the south shore. There’s always a report of a good bite for a group or two but on balance the south Shore bite report has been of slow fishing overall.

Now the bite up in the islands / NW Angle has been very, very good with great numbers and plentiful big fish showing up.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have been hearing that west has been good as well. Reports from springsteel have been good I hear.

shockers
    Rochester

Dang. Hate to hear that. Heading for south shore Monday with my son. Last year was super slow. Hoping the temperature change helps.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

My buddy just got back fishing out of Wigwams houses. “Slow and Small” is what he reported. The water is very cloudy. High vis colors and rattlers.

Eric.Christians
    Sabin - Moorhead, MN

I have been hearing that west has been good as well. Reports from springsteel have been good I hear.

Same here, I was supposed to be leaving for Springsteel on Wednesday night but gonna go a day early on Tuesday now instead because the fish are biting.

ps0345

I just got back the 22nd of Dec, I will have to say it was the worst fishing I have had up there too, for early ice. I threw everything at them. Moved around punch holes and made swiss cheese. Very light bite. a hand full of slot fish and a hand full of eaters. I was frustrated to say the least. Usually this time a year its a 50-75 fish a day.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Wish I could add something positive to the reports. Fished out of Ballard’s the 28th and 29th. Heard from other regular customers it was the worst fishing they’ve ever had on LOW. We had 5 guys, kept 13 fish over two days. Biggest was 14″. No perch, no pike.
    There were no good reports from any of the other houses during those two days. Guides reported over 100 fisherman out on Monday from just that resort.

If anything positive, the people at Ballard’s are first class and we were very pleased with our stay, meals, and service.

ET

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i just returned from LOTW. i was there over the weekend and it was the worst fishing trip of my life. We went out of wigwam. ive been fishing LOTW the last 3 years a few times a year with a lot of success. We caught about 10 fish in 2 days with 4 guys. Worse than the fishing, our furnace started leaking in the middle of the night. We spent a sleepless night with the windows open and the whole house smelling like rotten eggs. Ive heard red lake has a better bite right now.

taz
    Frederic wi

My wife and I were up at wigwam from the 18-23 and fishing was ok. We ate fish up there two nights in a row and came home with our limits also. Down size is the key smallest flyer,tingler,slender and chubby darter you can find in glow red, gold, and somtimes perch color worked too. Best luck for us was over by Morris gap in 23-24′ of water. Biggest sauger was 16″ biggest eye” was 22 1/4″. Get away from the groups and you should do fine.

P.s. The ice up there froze into jagged ruff messed up stuff this year a lot of the good in shore spots were hard to get to. You would drill a hole up to the gear box and chunks of slush ice chunks came up you hole all day. But fishing was also good there to. Marked lots of bait fish just under the ice also

Eric.Christians
    Sabin - Moorhead, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Same here, I was supposed to be leaving for Springsteel on Wednesday night but gonna go a day early on Tuesday now instead because the fish are biting.

Just got back from Springsteel on LOW from a 6 day trip & can’t complain. Caught a ton of 11-13 perch and a good amount of walleyes & Sauger. New Years Eve, my wife’s birthday & my own birthday may have caused equal amounts of drinking & fishing, but we still did pretty good. We caught some big walleyes at night, I caught a 24″ at 11:30 pm. We did not move around or fish hard! toast
    They did have some cracks that were a PITA but I think they have that sorted out now. Ask at lodge before heading out!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.