LOTW – is there a bad time to go?

• WishIwasWiser

Will be fishing walleye sometime between mid-May and mid-October. I know May/June is prime time…but is there a month(s) you would avoid?!

Trying to pull 6 people’s schedules together and want to narrow it down.

Thank you!

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

When the wind is blowing you off the lake!

Its a great fishery and you should have a balst!

Smellson

Like sand-burr said. Anytime the winds blowing! We have a family cabin up there and really don’t preference any specific time of the year. One of the few lakes that doesn’t die off in the heat of August. If you don’t have the gear to pull crankbaits deep if you need to (leadcore…down riggers etc.) I would MAYBE try for something earlier or later than August. That deep basin bite can be dynamite some years though.

grizzly
    nebraska

pulling leadcore in July and August is what we call big fish months up there.

B-man

I’ll echo what the other guys said.

If you guys prefer jigging/rigging/bobbers/spinners I’d go in May-June-early July or wait until fall.

If trolling is your thing the dog days of summer would be your best bet (downriggers, leadcore, copper, braid-deep diving cranks)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Massive cold fronts or storms are the worst times to go, I’ve definitely been shut out or not even able to get out, but any trip to LOW is worth it imo!

CaptainMusky

Whenever you do plan to go make sure you plan on staying several days like a week because you will most definitely be stuck on shore for multiple days due to wind.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

We changed our early October trip from Rainy Lake to LOTW 2 years ago (we stay at a resort on the river) and it was a good decision as we catch more fish for sure. The nice thing about staying at one of the resorts on the river is that if its too windy for lake, you can still fish the river

orve4

The Wind is always a factor when fishing the US side. Has anyone ever traveled to the Canadian side for the Day. We fish out of Moroson Ontario and that is only about a 35 minute drive from Baudette they have license that are pretty cheap. A good option to fish rather then sitting in the cabin.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We changed our early October trip from Rainy Lake to LOTW 2 years ago (we stay at a resort on the river) and it was a good decision as we catch more fish for sure. The nice thing about staying at one of the resorts on the river is that if its too windy for lake, you can still fish the river

October is the shiner run so the river is a great place to be at that time

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t like September up there. Weather can be all over the board and fish are in transition from the basin to the river or onto shallow structure. It can be a real crap shoot.

I think late May, early June or October are the best times of year. October is also a great time to get on big smallies on shallow structures.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I don’t like September up there. Weather can be all over the board and fish are in transition from the basin to the river or onto shallow structure. It can be a real crap shoot.

I think late May, early June or October are the best times of year. October is also a great time to get on big smallies on shallow structures.

I agree with this. Early Sept can be fine if they’re still in summer mode and late September can be fine if they’re already in fall mode. Generally speaking, I’d stay away from that month too.

snelson223
    Austin MN

The Wind is always a factor when fishing the US side. Has anyone ever traveled to the Canadian side for the Day. We fish out of Moroson Ontario and that is only about a 35 minute drive from Baudette they have license that are pretty cheap. A good option to fish rather then sitting in the cabin.

I’ve been up there a bunch of times and the fishing is usually more consistent. If you go in July and August a lot of fish will be on reefs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.