Lost power trim at console

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I have a Alumacraft Trophy which is starting to get long in the tooth. It’s been a great boat with very few issues since I bought it in 2004. I have a Merc 115 4-stroke powering it.

Yesterday, while out fishing, out of the blue, the power trim stopped working from the button on the throttle. The trim works when I use the button on the motor itself.

For a not so mechanically inclined guy, is this something I can attempt to troubleshoot myself or should I take it in? Where and what do I start looking at to fix myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ET

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Very common and pretty easy to fix. It is the switch under the button on the throttle control. They get old and go bad eventually. It usually just takes removing the face off the throttle arm to replace.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

likely a switch or switch wire failure.

The fact that you other switch works means your solenoids are good.

I went through this a few weeks ago, not the best boat mechanic so it took me 4 hours to find the real problem. Of course I replaced a solenoid before I found the real problem, a broken wire.

Of course once I fixed that my engine wouldn’t turn over because I broke the neutral micro switch…

Long story short don’t hire me to be a boat mechanic )

Here’s where my failure was.

I fixed and have new parts on hand I’ll install in the next week or so.

Now I know every bit of the tilt trim diagnosis

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20170522191345098.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.